Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bags for Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bags for Sous Vide

Hi, I'm looking for bags for Sous Vide, in particular bags that can hold a 4 pound brisket or larger. I had bought the Forsous Sous Vide bag kit from Amazon but so very, very many problems with it. First of all, there is a freakin hole in the bag. There doesn't appear to be a plug for the hole so I don't know what to make of that. Secondly, the gallon size bag has a tiny opening so it would be hard to get a hunk of meat in it. Third, by the time you fold the opening over two or three times, you've just lost a good amount of space.
    My wife is really, really concerned about BPA and other contaminants. I had no choice but to use a cheapo ziplock from the dollar store because I was in a time rush. But going forward, I'd love a quality bag. And for brisket flat, something that is maybe 1.5 gallon sized.
    Thank you!

I've got nothing, yet. Looking still.

Comment

The hole may be for a temp probe. Someone makes tape for sous vide bags found some, but it's pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Prince-U8...+vide+bag+tape

I also found some vacuum sealer pouches that are 16 X 24, but ya gotta buy 500...

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-V...sous+vide+bags
      Last edited by RonB; July 6, 2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Do you have a vacuum sealer? I know Foodsaver says all their bags are BPA free. They have expandable versions also.
        http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storag...C.html#start=8
        http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storag...P.html#start=1

Even if you don't have a vac sealer, you could use the bags, and fold over and seal with a clip.

Comment

I just finished a 14 pound packer sv'd at 155... I used 4 1 gallon glad locks and dropped 1 flat and 1 point in two different baths... one at 155... one at 135... the 135 is still in the bath. The 155 just gave me a religious experience... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ime-for-a-bath

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
            Do you have a vacuum sealer? I know Foodsaver says all their bags are BPA free. They have expandable versions also.
            http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storag...C.html#start=8
            http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storag...P.html#start=1

Even if you don't have a vac sealer, you could use the bags, and fold over and seal with a clip.
            I assume "expandable" means stretchy?

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              They have pleated sides, to allow them to expand. I have a whole 12 lb turkey in one now.

Lower left hand corner in fine print.

Also from Anova.... https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

"Resealable Bags or Jars
            Resealable bags are very versatile, and can be used with the water immersion method to remove air from the bag. We recommend heavy-duty, BPA-free bags, like Ziplock’s freezer bags."

Hefty also has a BPA free zip slider in a 2 gallon on Amazon.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by FlaBouy; July 6, 2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlaBouy View Post
              Lower left hand corner in fine print.

Also from Anova.... https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

"Resealable Bags or Jars
              Resealable bags are very versatile, and can be used with the water immersion method to remove air from the bag. We recommend heavy-duty, BPA-free bags, like Ziplock’s freezer bags."

Hefty also has a BPA free zip slider in a 2 gallon on Amazon.
              I know that Ziplock brand are safe (at least from what I've read), I just wish they had a bag between 1g and 2g. Like a 6quart. I don't want too much wasted bag flopping around in my container.

Comment

• FlaBouy
                FlaBouy commented
                Editing a comment
                I am a design engineer, so I question the questions. Adjust the size of the container for large cooks as it will improve flow across the surface of the product and that will solve the bag cook. Or go to my post on the 14 pound packer I just finished and see where I roll the extra bag over the lip.

FlaBouy The photos don't reveal too much in the "roll the extra bag over the lip" department, but I understand what you are getting at. I bought the largest tub so I have flexibility there. I just wish there was an in between size of Ziplock so I don't have to buy a 2g bag for 1.1g of contents. I discovered the same years ago when I used to brine spatchkocked chicken in a 1g bag that was bursting at the seams. The briner tub solved that. A 1.2g or a 1.5g bag would have been flawless. 2g just wasted plastic and space.

Comment

• FlaBouy
                FlaBouy commented
                Editing a comment
                The bag is rolled over the lip under the tin foil wrap and then clamped. I just posted a better shot of that. I have come across anything between a 1 or a 2 in the slider that I trust so I adjust my cooks to the combination. If I come across one I will tag you.

Ziplock makes some really big bags if necessary. I've brined half a turkey.

Comment

FoodsSaver. Also for long cooks I double bag.

Comment

I'm a foodsaver bag guy. I double seal each end on large clods of meat for long cooks, even though I've NEVER had a leaky bag. I buy long rolls, not various size bags.

Comment

I agree with Breadhead, buy a long roll and not the various size bags. Then you have flexibility.

Comment

I also agree with Breadhead, all I have used so far is vacuum bags from a long roll that I cut to any length I want. I only have the 11 inch width but I think you can get 16 inch width rolls from Vac Master. I think Amazon sells the Vac Master rolls also. They work great, I have never had a leak. The biggest piece of meat that I have done SV so far was a 9lb pork butt.

Comment

You can get Foodsaver pleated bags but I've not had much luck with sealing them. Thunder77 , any tips on this?

I like the FoodSaver Heavy Duty Gamesaver bags for the really hot veggie cooks and for stuff with pointy bones. They're thicker.

The regular (not heavy duty) Gamesavers are the same thickness as the regular FoodSavers. So why do they make them? Dunno.

And Ziplocs are not recommended above 158°F or so, as I recall, because the seams can fail.

Kathryn
                        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 7, 2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• badf00d
                          badf00d commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're right, Ziploc bags can fail at higher heat. I make custard for ice cream in 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bags, and thankfully they have a double layer, because the first layer fails often. The bath is at 180°F for 20 minutes.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here