Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to Sous Vide 2 different chuckies this weekend...πŸ˜‹

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to Sous Vide 2 different chuckies this weekend...πŸ˜‹

Yesterday I bought 2 chuckies... 1 was 3.5lbs and the other was 3.0 pounds. I dry brined both of them yesterday and left them in the fridge overnight.

Im going to cook both of them in the hot tub for 24 hours. The one that I put in the hot tub tonight at 6:00pm I'm cooking at 131Β°. I put some garlic cloves and Rosemary sprigs in the bag too. Tomorrow I'm going to sear it on my son's gasser with the flat side of his grillgrates to get a nice crust on it. I will slice it and serve it as a steak, with appropriate sides.

Tomorrow I'm going to spice the chuckie to be used as taco meat. I will cook it in the hot tub for 24 hours at 160Β° for 24 hours so I can shred it. I will sear it too, just to add a little crust flavor to the meat.

The vacuum packed chuckie i just put in the hot tub tonight...πŸ€—
    Attached Files

Sounds like a plan, but remember that the grain of the chuckie runs from top to bottom, so if you slice it across the flat side you will have fairly long strands of muscle fiber. Slicing the meat into strips, then slicing the strips in half against the grain may produce meat that is easier to chew. However, I am just thinking out loud here, so with the 24 hour bath, that might not be necessary.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes... extended time in the hot tub is your tenderizer.πŸ‘ The goal is to make the chuckie as tender as a Filet Mignon.πŸ‘Œ But not mushy like the meat will be the next day when cooked at 160Β° for the same amount of time.😎

Go for it, Brian ... sounds like a winner (or two) in the making!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I read some SV stuff from that Baldwin guy about 130Β° and 160Β° and thought ok... let's do a real experiment. I can see his vision based on previous SV cooks. He didn't mention tacos or Mexican food. I just thought shredding the meat for tacos made sense.

I never get around to putting a sprig of something in the bag.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Me either usually but this time it's an experiment.😬 I made the plan and followed the plan.πŸ€—

I like the experiment. I did some Chuckeye steaks at 140 SV for 8-hours, then chilled and seared. They were OK, but I think I can get better. Looking forward to your results!

Comment

The fam loves SV'd chuckies. Just did one on Saturday. It was in the HTTM at 133 for 48hrs then in the kettle with a smoking tube for 30min while the coal heated in the chimney. A quick sear when the coals were ready and it produced smoky, tasty awesomeness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuckie - 5.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	341642

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my that looks really nice...πŸ‘Œ

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! We're officially addicted to chuckies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	341655
      2 Chucks Finished 48 hrs at 130 degrees now in the fridge, will get some smoke and bark later today.

Comment

Question:

When, if at all, does a rub enter the SV/Chill/Smoke/Sear procedure?

Thanks,

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          If I were going to smoke these clods of meat I would apply the Rub right after removing it from the SV bag. I would dry the meat off from the moisture in the bag, apply some beef love and the Rub, then into the smoker. I would smoke it just until I got the bark I wanted.

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to doing my first chuckie. Hopefully next weekend.

I've been doing these at 131 for steaks a bunch. They always work out well. I would recommend making a sauce from the purge. They get tender and I wouldn't call it dry at all, but there is a lack of juices (from the purge)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here