Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Anova the week before father's day when it was on sale. I don't think two days have gone by where it hasn't been used. The on board controls are so handy. Here are a couple examples from this week:
    1: Tuesday, Called college boy who was at home probably laying in bed watching netflix. Told him to go to kitchen, plug in anova, turn the dial until it said 130F, hit play button. Grab pork chops (already sealed) from fridge, drop them in the water, and put the steel weight on top. He asks if he needs to put the lid on the container, I say no. I get home, light charcoal, make salad, pull the chops, season, sear. Dinner done.
    2. Wednesday. Gotta use the Brussel Sprouts that are in the fridge. Don't want dinner to take two hours to make. Call wife (teaching summer school but gets off at noon. Honey, vacuum seal the sprouts, turn the anova to 183, cook them for 40 minutes and then put the bag in an ice bath. Again, I get home, season them up. Start the charcoal, make hamburger patties, sear the sprouts cook the burgers and corn on the cob voila, dinner done in 30 min.
    Neither of them had to mess with an app

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW I bought the storage case for it on amazon as well. I travel about once a quarter and plan on using the anova in the hotel room. Plus it makes it easy to pack away in the kitchen.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      The is a great idea for a mobile kitchen. You could also pack a smokey joe and be 100% set.

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like our place. "Call when you leave so I know when to drop in the SV." I'm planning on my next IKEA trip to get one of those racks you have linked.

Thank you guys for all the great responses. I truly love this forum. I think I am going to start with the Anova because the wife will not allow a tank to be stored in the kitchen. I also think the manual controls will be handy. Plus I like that is connects to Alexa for voice commands.

I bought some Heatermeters and thought I would be using it all the time. Most of my cooks I just set it up and am good to go. I actually like the checking on a cook. Probably would not want to do that on Sous vide since it is much longer.

Comment

When you get totally addicted, you'll be getting a chamber vac sealer. Until then, several of us use the food saver vacuum sealer. If you go to their website, you can sign up and get all sorts of sale announcements. I love ours and when our first one died, got its replacement on sale for about half what we originally paid.
      Last edited by Atalanta; July 7, 2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: i keep messing up the name of the vac sealer

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I currently have a foodsaver. Is this like the same thing only works faster?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Faster, but the main thing is that it lasts longer. I went through three of them before I caved and got a chamber sealer. They last longer because they can handle liquid in the bag.

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        I've used FoodSavers for over 15 years, but just got a chamber vac for Father's Day. It is awesome! A total game changer for me. Definitely seals things better/easier. The upfront costs for the unit is steep, but should have much greater longevity than FoodSavers. Also, the bags are much cheaper.

Take a look at the Joule, BriggsBBQ , before you pull the trigger on the Anova. I have two of them and love 'em. Small, easy to store, heats up faster, and the app holds your hand through every step of the prep and cook for tons of foods. It also is Alexa/Echo/Dot friendly.

I heart Joule.

Kathryn

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I saw the coupon, cheaper, more power and that the Joule is Alexa friendly so going that route. I get the controls are nice but with Alexa I can just shout it out.

No, the chamber vac actually pulls a pure vacuum so you can seal liquids easily, etc. It will actually boil water in the bag due to being in a vacuum. The foodsaver is good but nowhere near close to pulling this kind of air out. Plus it can have problems with a lot of liquid.

I have the foodaver just because the vacuum's are expensive and large counter top hogs. One way around this issue is to freeze the liquid in the bag w/the food and then seal.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tips. That is a good idea of freezing the liquids.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It works.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the freeze technique too. I also do that with fresh meat so I don't get juice in the machine.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here