Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV first run- Seared Ahi, what oil and SV setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV first run- Seared Ahi, what oil and SV setup

I scored a Bluetooth Anova for $100 on Father's day! Super excited to give it a whirl. First run I want to go with seared Ahi, but obviously not in the traditional sense because my seared Ahi lover hates sushi a la raw fish. So I cook it to pink (medium I suppose you would say). It is always a crap shoot for me trying to sear and cook to doneness at the same time so I am hoping the SV is going to help me out. So I am seeking input from the Pit on my SV plan-

How does this sound-
    Dry brine with salt only 30 min.
    SV for 30 - 60 min at 128F depending on thickness (1" - 2")
    Ice bath for 5 min
    Pat dry, oil (see next part) & fresh ground pepper. (Kalbi sauce is already pretty salty)
    Screaming sear all surfaces quickly on GG upside down on gasser. Just a minute or two.
    Serve with Kalbi sauce (our fav)

From everything I see in the Pit & web, I think I am shooting for about 130 IT? Pink is good as long as the meat texture is "cooked". Does my cook plan look like it will get that result?

On a side note OIL? I have EVOO, Grape seed oil, Canola and flax seed oil. Can get avocado oil I think. Anybody have a strong preference for this Ahi cook?

Thanks to all for your input! Much appreciated

You might want to go with mayo rather than oil.

Comment

I have cook a lot of tuna and my honest opinion would be not to SV it but rather just lightly touch it to a very hot grill with olive oil salt and pepper. Tuna basically raw is wonderful but becomes fishy when cooked

Comment

• Ozzie
        Ozzie commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree whole heartedly, but unfortunately that will only feed 1 of 2 at the table.

Your basic plan sounds reasonable ... with two possible exceptions. Personally, I don't think I'd dry brine the tuna. Fish takes up salt awfully quickly and you might find you've over done it. SV at 128F seems a bit too warm unless you want the tuna equivalent of well done steak. Here's a link to a Serious Eats discussion of SV tuna that might help:

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome! Thanks for that link!

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        MBMorgan great link. Thanks.

Not to disagree, but to give options...Chef Steps offers this:
        ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

• Ozzie
        Ozzie commented
        Editing a comment
        T-bone Thanks! At the end where he cuts it apart is exactly the doneness I am looking for (as close as tuna will get to that salmon anyway). Hope my SV temp is right. Maybe I will go 125.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here