Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Pastrami Before Smoke or After?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Pastrami Before Smoke or After?

Most reviews discuss sous vide before smoke. Few discuss sous vide after smoke. Anyone do side by side comparisons? Thanks.

Also, what is the best water tank for the Joule sous vide?

I've done both. Couldn't pick a best other than the SV 1st was able to be consumed immediately after the smoke.

I have a clear hard Rubbermaid container with a lid. I highly recommend a lid or silicone mats on the water surface.

Comment

fzxdoc had a fantastic post about this very topic: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ami-comparison

As with everything else she does, this should be required reading. I haven't tried pastrami yet but definitely follow her advice.

As for the container, I bought one of the LIPAVI sous vide containers with a lid they make specifically for the Joule. To be honest, probably wasn't worth the cash. I should have paid a little more for the larger LIPAVI (I got the 12 gallon), since for that size I could just use any old pot sitting around the kitchen, and I should've spent the money on something larger for when I need it. Also, the lid they make specifically for the Joule is probably just repurposed from a different circulator, as it didn't seem to fit exactly to the Joule; the power cord enters the Joule a little low, so it made setting it in the container with the lid on and clipped to the side a little awkward. Some people have had success with these LIPAVI's and the Joule by gluing a metal disc to the bottom so the Joule's magnetic bottom can latch on, making the clip redundant.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, doctorak .

I also have both sizes of the Lipavi, although the smaller size is pretty close in volume to a large cooking pot. That said, sometimes it's easier to fit a rectangular piece of brisket into it.

I bought the one with the Anova lid (before the Joule lid came out) and I just poke a bit of Cling wrap in the opening. Works great for those 48 hour sous vide cooks I like to do.

Gluing ( or just placing a metal disc or plate to the underside of the container for the length of the cook) is a great idea. Love the magnetic foot of the Joule. I wonder if one of those magnetic advertising squares would work. Must try that!

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by doctorak View Post
          fzxdoc had a fantastic post about this very topic: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ami-comparison
          Yes, I did see that write up. But, it only review sous vide before smoke. One or two people mentioned sous vide after smoke. I'm wondering if anyone has compared sous vide before or after smoke? Thank you.

Comment

I did a comparison smoking before and after. For me, the smoke first then sous vide was superior. The post is here:

I have a large group to feed and promised them some good brisket. I have had good success with my pellet smoker and whole brisket and following the amazing

Comment

I always do the smoking first, then I SV afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by johnec00 View Post
                I did a comparison smoking before and after. For me, the smoke first then sous vide was superior. The post is here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...378#post248378
                Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here