Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-vide question. I want my steak rare. My wife wants hers medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-vide question. I want my steak rare. My wife wants hers medium

The Joule app says I should pull mine at 126 degrees, and my wife's at 133. I would guess that I'd take mine out at 126, then up the temp to 133 and have hers cook for longer. But if that's the answer, then how much longer?

Or if it's easier, should my wife just find a husband who likes his steak medium?

SV both to rare put hers on to sear 1st to sear longer than yours cooking getting it to medium.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I do for someone who wants it more done than me.

Originally posted by hogdog6 View Post
    SV both to rare put hers on to sear 1st to sear longer than yours cooking getting it to medium.
    That sounds like a good plan. Much thanks!

Comment

Wont do you any good at present but maybe for future cooks. I got my self a accordion lid holder to hold my meat in the water bath (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) it can squeeze the meat so it wont float. I also recently got a Fireboard Thermometer. Wanting to try out my new Thermometer I was doing a strip steak sous vide. Decided to do it Sans Vide instead. I use freshsaver bags for my sous vide. They are zip top bags with a place to vacuum out the air. That way I can reuse the bags. So I simply unzipped the bag (the top of course stuck up above the water line) inserted the long probe (Fireboard actually makes a Sous vide Probe that is super slim) into the meat and for the heck inserted another into the water. You could set your water temp to 133 and your thermometer to 126 When it beeps yours is ready! if you have a multi probe thermometer you could insert one into both pieces of meat and know when both were ready. Or do it the much easier way hogdog6 and Skip do it lol

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea GadjetGriller! I was looking at investing in a Fireboard, so that would do the trick! Thanks!

Hmmm... a new wife that likes rare meat would make your cooks easier. The problem is your current wife would probably get all of your cooking gear in the divorce. You might want to start liking medium rare steaks.

Cheap option... Set your bath water at a safe temperature, 131°. Put you wife's steak in a vacuum sealed bag. For your steak use a ziplock freezer bag. Remove all of the air from the bag, put it in the hot tub and clamp the top of the bag to the top of the hot tub. Periodically open the ziplock bag and check the temperature of your meat with your Thermapen. You get the proper doneness you prefer plus... you get to keep your wife and your cooking gear.👏

Comment

One option is to buy another Joule or Anova

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Or another wife. I have heard in some countries they are pretty cheap.
          I know I'm gonna be banned for this one. Ouch.

I have the same problem. For the reasons Breadhead explained it was easier to come up with a solution that saved my BBQ equipment. My wife likes the steak almost well done. My Anova has had the advantage of bringing her down from well done. My daughter likes hers blood rare - the Anova has made me feel better about her rare steak because I know it is cooked all of the way through. I cook all of the steaks now at 131 in the SV - suggestions in the Pit made me decide that this was a safer temp than 129 or 130. It will be plenty rare at that temp. I leave my daughter's in the bath, take my wife's out and throw it on the flame with a pan over the top. I go back and retrieve my daughters and by that time, I come back out and flip my wife's steak (about 3-5 minutes). I like mine medium rare, so I slap mine of for 2 minutes. I don't typically cover mine. When I am ready to flip mine and my wife's, my daughter's goes on and the heat goes up. Her's gets just over a minute sear per side. I take them off simultaneously.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF - I really like the new photo of you. You kind of look like a BBQ Superhero.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Aspiration is a good thing. You never know - it might work!

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          131 is my magic number too. It's plenty rare at that point.

Thanks, everyone! Like you all said, dealing with the proper temps during the sear is the way to make both of us happy.

Now my wife leaving me will have nothing to do with the doneness of her steak, and everything to do with me talking non stop about BBQing

Comment

You can do different temps by putting the highest in first. Say chicken thighs at 155 cook an hour, drop temperature to 140 throw the breast in and just leave everything in the bath as you go. I do this with vegetables cooked at 194, throw some ice in to get the temp to 130's cook steak and leave everything in.

Comment

Like Michael Brinton said: set water to 133, cook your wife's 'til it's done, lower to 126 leaving your wife's steak in the bath, put yours in and cook until done. Much easier this way.

Comment

Sounds like a good reason to buy a second circulator...

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Having 2 or 3 circulators is nice...👍 1 or 2 for meat at different temperatures and then 1 for the veggies.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              At the price of that Anova nano preorder, it actually becomes reasonable.

Originally posted by Smoking77 View Post
            The Joule app says I should pull mine at 126 degrees, and my wife's at 133. I would guess that I'd take mine out at 126, then up the temp to 133 and have hers cook for longer. But if that's the answer, then how much longer?

Or if it's easier, should my wife just find a husband who likes his steak medium?
            Sous vide her's first at 133, for whatever time it takes to get it done, then dial device down to 126, throw a couple of ice cubes in, and drop your steak in, and continue to hold hers in the bath.

Comment

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead This is another good way to go. She's a filet person; I'm a ribeye guy. That would put her filet in the bath for 3 hours. That's not too long, right? I've heard some cuts that are in the bath for too long can get mushy.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Mushy is correct. I did a tri-tip for 24 hours and it was to mushy. I think tri-tip is best at 15 hours. Tenderloin... you're starting with a much more tender cut of meat and if you SV'ed it for 15 hours it would be to mushy. However I just did a chateaubriand for 7 hours and it was perfect.👍

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here