Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Chuckie Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Chuckie Success

I found a chuckie on sale a few weeks ago, but didn't have time to cook it so I salted, vac sealed and froze it.

Our youngest was home for the weekend and wanted steak so I thought this was the perfect time to try the magical chuckie SV transformation cook that I've been reading about. Since I was looking for a steak texture, I went with Potkettleblack's recommendation of 135* for 36 hours.

I went straight from the freezer to the tub and here's the chuckie partying in the HTTM...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	325585

After about 40hours, here's what it looked like in the bag:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	325586

For those interested, here's how much purge was in the bag:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	325587

Since I didn't smoke it before the sous vide, I decided to try and get some smoke on the chuckie while the coals were heating up in the chimney. I brushed the chuckie with EVOO and put it over a smoke tube in my Weber Kettle. Here's the setup before I added the chuckie:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	325584

Once the coals were hot, I poured the coals into the baskets and put the chuckie over the coals to sear. I also was searing the top with a Searzall to get a better sear in a quicker amount of time. Additionally, I used the Searzall to sear the sides/edges. I was too busy for a pic during the searing, but here's the results:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	325588
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie - 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	325589

This was easily my best chuckie ever. It was super tender, very moist, had a great steak-like texture and a great smoky beef flavor. I didn't expect the 30mins with the smoke tube to make much of a difference, but you definitely could taste the smoke. It wasn't strong, but was a great accent to the meat. The whole family raved about how good this turned out and complained that I should have done two of them. Two thumbs up for the chuckie steak!
    Last edited by T-bone; May 29, 2017, 02:21 PM. Reason: Forgot a word =)

That looks delicious, I'll have to try that myself sometime!

Comment

You just opened up a whole new world of chuckies for me. That looks as good as a perfectly cooked ribeye. Delicious yummy yummy delicious steak. Nicely done
      T-Bone.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! This was super tasty. We can't wait to finish it off tonight at dinner. =)

Looks great. Thanks for the educational writeup. Will be trying this one out!

Remind me - Searzall - butane thingie or something else?

Comment

When I find me another Angus number at wolly world loaded with lipids I'm separating it and rocking this recipe. I need to "steak it out" since I'm the only medium-rare'er in the house.

Comment

T-bone that Chuck Roast looks FANTASTIC!!!! I hope you don't mind--I just printed this post for my SV Notes. Great cook!

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you and I'm honored that the post found a home in your SV notebook.

Happy to have helped. Let's keep paying it forward.

Comment

Dang, there are so many good ideas and me with not enough time to try them all. This is a good one though, because the HTTM really doesn't need supervision.

Comment

That looks delicious, congrats a fantastic cook.

I may have to get myself a Searzall. I have a butane torch, but haven't really had much success with it. My best post-SV sears so far have been on the GrillGrates on my Weber gasser flipped over onto the "griddle" side.

Did you do anything with the purge or just toss it?

Comment

doctorak I haven't had my Searzall that long, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. This was the first time I used it as a supplemental sear tool and it worked very nicely. The primary searing was with the white-hot charcoal, but I seared the opposite side and the edges with Searzall. It seemed to decrease the overall sear time and provided a more complete sear. The nice thing with a Searzall is that I haven't had any residual propane taste when using it. Also, who doesn't like a tool that involves FIRE?

I did use the purge. I separated the fat out and strained it through cheesecloth. Then I reduced it on the stove and added some dried herbs (herbs de provance and oregano), salt and pepper. It was a thin au jus that worked nicely with the meat.

Comment

Great-looking chuckie, T-bone . I like the way you've corralled that roast in the water bath.

Kathryn

Comment

Wow that looks good! I still don't have a SV unit but will have to add to the arsenal shortly.

Comment

Somewhere on amazing ribs Meatheat made a comment on chuck steaks vs. chuck roasts and now I can't find it.

Comment

They were on sale this week for $2.99 a pound.
                    Got one in the fridge that just spent 24 hours at 133. Sear it up whenever. Got another dry brining in the fridge for pulled beef this weekend.

Comment

• T-bone
                      T-bone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great price. The pair I bought on sale last week were $3.99 a pound. They've been salted, vac sealed and hanging out in the freezer waiting for their turn in the hot tub. Let us know how the 24h@133* turns out.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looked acceptable out of the bath... gonna have to do something with the purge, because there is a lot.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here