Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide venison

I have a backstrap that a neighbor gave me and was thinking of treating it to sous vide then finishing hot and fast for a minute or so over coals. Has anyone tried this technique with venison and if so please share.

I had to look up backstrap to see what it is. Reco's for cooking it are much like beef or pork tenderloin. As a guess, I'd SV it for 2-3 hours (probably on the low side) at 131F, then do your sear. You might consider throwing a couple of pieces of good bacon in the bag for some interesting smoky flavor, and for the extra fat.

Let us know how it comes out!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, thanks EdF!

Trim the fat & silverskin, if not already done. Sous vide as EdF said, 2-3 hrs at (not more than) 130F. Sear as hot as you can, only as long as it takes to get a nice crust! Slice it into medallions and serve with some garlic butter drizzled over the top. Could also cut into thicker medallions and wrap in bacon (ala fillet mignon) and treat the same. Maybe sous vide for a shorter time if doing individual fillets. Do NOT overcook or over sauce! Med rare at most! Properly handled venison only needs salt, pepper, perhaps some garlic. A little butter never hurt anything either. You either have a great neighbor to give you backstrap or one that doesn't know how to cook venison. Enjoy my friend, you are in for a special treat!

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed with HorseDoctor you have a neighbor that really likes you, backs straps are the best cut on a deer. Enjoy!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      hogdog6 "backs straps are the best cut on a deer"... You sound like Ted Nugent...

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor. Gotta love Uncle Ted 👍

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here