Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova and the LSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova and the LSG

This is my second cook with my new Anova. The first was chicken breasts for the dogs. aka guinea pigs.

I started out with one 1-1/2" thick ribeye about 1-1/2lbs. And one 2" thick filet mignon butterflied, that's how the wife likes hers. Dry brined for 24hrs.
    Set the Anova to 131* and put the ribeye into the bath. After 30min in went the filet for a total of 90min for the ribeye,60 for the filet.

Set up the kettle to cook the potatoes and got the LSG ready for the sear. Spinaker requested I do this and who am I to say no to that.

The final results were nothing short of amazing. Much better than I expected. Cooked perfectly through with a nice crust from the sear. Hope the pics show up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	320292Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	320291Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	320295Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	320296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	320297Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	320298Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	320299
    Attached Files

YES!!!!!! Great photos! That LSG is awesome! Lit looks like you got on hell of a sear on those steaks!

What did you end up doing with the bags. Did you leave them open during the SV bath? Like I mentioned before, I always close the bag, not sure why. I guess I have this fear of the bag slipping into the water. But I have never had problems with the bag doing that before. So you got me thinking last night. Why would Chefs Steps recommend leaving the bag open during the SV step? I wonder what advantage that would bring to the whole process? What are you thoughts? Did you notice a difference between the two?

Great Write up! That grub looks fantastic.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Spinaker thanks. I started with the bags open but after about 20min I noticed the steak was kinda floating so I pushed out as much air as possible and sealed it. Than it sank to the bottom. So I'm not sure why chefs steps say to leave the bag open????

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny you mentioned the counter top.
      MY WIFE HATES IT!!!!!!!!!!!
      I put it in about 10 months ago for more storage,thanks to this site, and more counter space.
      She calls it the "work bench".

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I would imagine ChefSteps leaves the bag open when using the water displacement method to submerge the steak. When the steak heats up, any vapor generated is released without causing the bags to float.

Spinaker Im in a Facebook group that use to be called Sous vide cooking but they changed the name to Sous Vide/ Sans vide cooking. Saying that some vegetables released a toxic gas (for lack of a better word) that usually would dissipate during cooking but inside the bag there was no place to go but back into the cooking items. Can't imagine steaks doing that? I recently did a steak cook with the bag unsealed, because I wanted to check out the new Fireboard. (Got the bag in the water then unsealed it (Water displacement keep the bag tight to the meat) inserted the probe. According to fireboard the little over 1 inch thick steak didn't reach 130.5 until the 72 min mark of cooking? at the 50 min mark it was @ 128 which is well within the 125 to 130 chiefs use for med rare (I like 135ish) just found that interesting. after the shock and the cast iron sear it was 138 which is great for me!. Sorry guess that really had nothing to do with why you might want to cook sans vide sorry lol

Comment

Looks amazing and really impressed with the sear you got. One question, why not use the Weber and slow n sear for the sear. Seams like a waste of fuel and more work. Not criticizing just asking, i don't have a Sous Vide yet and I am trying to convince the wife.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        This sale is a pretty good motivator: https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...nova+sous+vide

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fun to fire up the offset. I mean who doest love building a fire and cooking right over it. I would use logs, personally.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks jacmac422 I fired up the LSG cause Spinaker asked me to. Think he wanted to see it in action. Ordinarily I would have just used 1 of the cookers to do both.
        It took me quite a while to pull the trigger but I gotta tell ya I think I'm gonna really love this thing

Awesome cook! Thanks much for the pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here