Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I caved and bought Joule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I caved and bought Joule

Looking forward to seeing what it can do. For my first effort, I'm going to SV two filets, medium, and them sear them in the cast iron. If I want the steaks to finish medium, should I pull them from the water at medium rare? Will the heat from searing on all sides heat the steak a few more degrees to around medium? Thanks!

Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Cook to medium temp with the joule app. Immerse bag in 50-50 ice-water for ten minutes to cool surface. Dry surface. Season surface with salt, sear on Warp 10. Maybe 1 minute a side.

Otherwise, cook to 5* below desired internal temp in Joule app, then sear straight out of bag after drying.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Do you also season before you cook it, or just before the sear?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking77 I season all meats a or 2 day in advance. That includes anything going in the hot tub time machine.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      After cooking. I generally don't have plans that allow me an extra 24 hours to dry brine. A half quantity salt brine in the bag works at the start of long cooks.

The temperature will indeed come up while searing. I generally cook SV at 131 F then sear to my desired IT. There's a great how-to article here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...eye-steak.html

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good article. Thanks for the reference MBMorgan

Congrats, I really like mine. Don't mind controlling it with an app.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yeah, the app was one of the main reasons to buy the Joule over the Anova. The reviews said the interface was a little "better."

Having fun with mine I am sure you will like it. The set and forget is the best part I can easily cook a steak for lunch before work and get other things done while it cooks.

Comment

Congratulations. I was leaning toward getting a Joule as well, but they are harder to find in Canada. Anova ships here, Joule does not, and Amazon won't ship the Joule here either.

Comment

I have the Anova, and I love it so far. I think their app is just fine. In fact, last night I was out doing driving practice with my son, and reset the timer via wifi. Not something I usually do, but pretty cool. That said, I am still pondering buying the Joule, because it is smaller, and more powerful than the Anova. The Anova does take up a lot of space. I bought the Anova because it was less expensive, and you don't have to have a separate device to control it. But, most of the times I have used it, I set the time and temp from the app anyway, so there goes that argument.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here