Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4# Pork Loin from Solidly Frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4# Pork Loin from Solidly Frozen

Please double check I am figuring this correctly...using Douglas Baldwin's page...http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.3

I understand cooking times are determined more by thickness than weight, so dimensions are below. It's a very uniform cut of course, and assume the 3 & 1/2" would be the determining factor in figuring cooking time and still considered a cylinder rather than slab?

Length = 7 & 1/2"
    Depth = 3 & 1/2"
    Width = 5 & 1/2

I'm figuring the 3 & 1/2' = 90mm (88.9, but what's a mm or two)

That puts me at 8 hours to bring the center to 1 degree F below bath temp, which I am planning on 140F.

The pasteurization chart only goes up to 70 mm, but at 140 shows 4 hours. http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

So, do I need to add more time to the cook, in order to pasteurize the center? Seeing that since it takes 8 hours to get to 140, it would need even more hours at 140 to pasteurize?

Well, according to the gov't recommended cooking times for pork http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_C.1 at 140 being 12 minutes, I'm guessing one should just add 12 minutes to the above 8 hour cooking time to insure pasteurization of the center of the roast. I'll assume I could be off by using the thinnest dimension of 3 & 1/2" and a cylindrical shape (since it's 2" wider one way than the other), so I'll add a bit more time. I'll also assume that the center has spent quite a bit of time at the somewhat lower temperatures also, during it's rise to 140, contributing some to killing all those bad critters.

Anyway, as much as I hate to assume anything with this, I'll just add an hour, and call it a nine hour total SV cook.

I'm concerned that the outer portions may be starting to get mushy, having never done one before.

Most I have read, until Baldwin's info, just says to add about half an hour for frozen cuts, but that would put me WAY under Baldwin's recommendations.

I guess instead of just searing tomorrow, I can go ahead and do a full on smoke session, and bring her back up to just a bit under 140, and that may add some more insurance.

I'm not sure if the reason I didn't get any responses to the topic is because it's so simple I ought to be able to figure it out for myself, or because no one else knew either.
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 30, 2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Sorry fer not helpin'; not familiar with SV techniques/times, etc.
      Mebbe, when (if) I grow up.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Even of those who do, I doubt many throw fully frozen four pound roast in the bath regularly. Thinner cuts, I assume, is the norm. I got lazy at home this week, re-acclimating to my work boots and the new job after a long time off, and didn't ever get it out of the freezer.

I did this 4.5 pounder at 140 for five hours and then seared it on the grill it came out awesome. It wasn't frozen so you'll have to add extra time for that. I've read of adding everything from 30-90mins of extra time for frozen. I'd split the difference at one hour. I don't think you'll have any texture issues at these times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Loin - 0.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	312626

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Loin - 4.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	312625

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmmmmmm!!!!
        Looks Great, T-bone !!!!

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones thank ya, Sir! It was an easy, tasty mid-week meal. We thinly sliced the leftovers and made some awesome sammys.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yer Welcome, Good Sir! Loves me some pork loin! It was heavily featured among my early learnin' on smokers, years gone by!
        They're actually pretty forgivin', an' smoke up powerful tasty, even when yer a newbie!

Your thinking looks spot on to me.

Comment

It bathed for 9 hours, based on the charts and a little extra time for unknown variables. Currently rubbed with some Luscious Lucious, and in the fridge since about 2 this morning. Smoke to follow.

Purge reserved for some rice later this week.

T-bone I think that 1/2 - 1 & 1/2 hour time is for much thinner cuts, based on that chart for Frozen cuts, but I'm not highly experienced by any stretch of the imagination. That's why I posted....

Willy Thanks, if that was directed towards my thought process.

It should make for some decent lunch meat...

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          It was directed at you. :«)

Luscious, Luscious????

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Lucious "The King" BBQ Rub, out of Chattanooga, TN. Discovered years ago while traveling. I consider it a cross between BBQ and Jamaican Jerk rub. Have to order it online now. Pretty good stuff!! We call it Lushes Lucious. Probably spelled it wrong earlier.

Finished. Plenty of juice in the mouth, if not on the plate. Firm, but not tough. Probably well done by most people's standards, but I don't really like pink pork myself. We will see how it does for lunch meat this week. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_202245.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	312994
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks jus' right, least ways, from here!!!!

That looks good. I'm the same way. I can do chicken breast to 180, steak from rare to well-done, fish well over 145.....If ya got some crust on the surface the rest is just along for the ride.

Comment

Thanks. The beauty of that Hasty Bake is when the loin hit 140 and hasn't browned to my liking, I just removed the heat deflector and raised the fire box. Seconds later. ... done.

Comment

Am not sure what if any advantage the sous vide provided, other than the thawing and cooking at the same time. Had it not been frozen, I'm guessing straight to the smoker would have sufficed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here