Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to sear my first SV breast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to sear my first SV breast...

It's pretty thick. Sealed in the bag yesterday, without salt, at about 2". Late getting home, so tried pounding it flatter in the bag, and got her down to maybe 1 1/2". Coming up on 2 & 1/2 hours at 149.

What do you think?? Is that long enough for a thick boneless skinless breast? Had no luck on time tables for thicker than an inch.

Gotta get this thing finished and packaged for lunch tomorrow, then off to bed.

I think you are good. I will be really interested in finding out how the "pounding down" worked out. Let me know.

Comment

It wasn't as easy as doing it before I seal it. Can usually get them really flat that way. Was omly able to get abut a half inch reduction, somewhat because I was afraid of tearing the bag and didn't want to rebag, but I think the vacuum on it screwed with it too, as I did hit it pretty good.

Seared on the Hibachi, at about 450F (coal left over from Kalbi dinner). Not that great of a sear really, but cooked the quickly thrown together spices a bit I guess. Salt, N.M. Chili Powder, Black Pepper, and Cayenne. Cooling in the fridge, and will slice for sandwiches in the a.m.

Thanks for the reply!!

Comment

I'm sure it'll be great. But I can't believe you didn't sample it!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I licked the plate. .. was in a hurry. Was quite spicy! Better after it cooled, on the spice. Thinking SV breast are best fresh, as a child sandwich. ... just fine, but nothing to write home about.

One thing I've heard about flattening chicken once the SV is done before searing is to place them in the fridge sandwiched between two plates or skillets or whatever, with something heavy on top. That will help press them to uniform flatness for a better finishing sear, as well as chill them down for less overcooking.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I flattened before the bath. I think the coals had just cooled to much, and have heard searing is an art form after a SV. I'll give it another go soon. Did cool before the seat. Ruining cold water & in the freezer a bit.
          Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 25, 2017, 06:25 PM.

Here : http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_4.1

According to that table you should be OK.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a lot of good info there.
          Not sure if you're familiar with Douglas Baldwin but he now works at Chefsteps .

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I think he even shows up here now and then.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Dr Baldwin is a Pit member.

No. Not by name, until now. That seems more comprehensive than chefsteps charts. Thanks. I may have to take a few college courses to understand it all. ... :-D

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You can handle it!

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Book marked! !! That book I got on amazon was crap. I'll be studying this. ..

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I know what you mean!
          I haven't read it all yet but those heating, cooling and pasteurization tables are really handy.
          Even with my basic education I've learned a lot about food safety from reading some of it..

Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
        Here : http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_4.1

According to that table you should be OK.
        Over in the large sous vide groups on Facebook, half of what I do as a moderator is posting that link to make sure people are cooking safely. The other half is introducing people to the Sous Vide 101 section on Serious Eats, because J. Kenji Lopez-Alt goes into wonderful details about WHY he cooks at the temperature he does, showing moisture loss and texture at different temps. For people new to sous vide, it's very helpful to get a grasp on what happens when you cook that way.

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          We always refer back to Kenji's stuff when we have SV questions.

cookingmadly

I agree!
        Before anyone tries SV they should aquire at least some basic food safety knowledge. How I found Douglas's site many years ago? When I discovered Sous Vide i was really skeptical about cooking at such low temps so I did a lot of Googling.. It set my mind at ease and tought me lots.. I also learned lots from Seriouseats and also Chefsteps about SV...Both great resources.. SV done the wrong way can have really bad consequences especially for immunocompromised people such as the elderly or very young kiddies or people with illnesses....
        Anyone reading this please remember: Pathogenic bacteria ( the really bad stuff! ) does not change the smell, appearance or taste of food. You cannot detect it just by smelling!
        That is why so many people get food poisoning. If it smelled or tasted off they wouldn't have eaten it.
        ​​​​​​Always make sure your food is properly pasteurized.
        Cook safely brothers and sisters!!! 👍

Comment

Well, I use the Food Lab plus Serious Eats for Sous vide information and currently have a flat that will be finished in the bath at 155* for 24Hrs, I'm going to let it cool and place in the refrigerator overnight and bark it up with some mesquite on the SNS in the morning. Pictures to follow.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet. I've used those sites also. New to SV, I like the info all in one place at the link posted above. Not sure how cooking from frozen correlates with the pasteurization chart though. I've got a pork loin going now, and plan on searing tomorrow, after cooling tonight. May slice into steaks first.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't forget pics.

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the pics!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here