Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg Yolk Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egg Yolk Only

Is anyone here doing yolks only, and how?? I just can't take the runny/ non-set whites I get when the yolks are "perfect" for me.

I have tried doing a few separated yolks in ziplocks, and got the texture I like @ 144F. I just seem to always break a few pouring them out of the bag, as they roll over the "zip" in the ziplock.

Have read about doing them in a pan, covered in oil, set in the bath. I just can't see me using that much oil to cook the yolks, or enjoying the added oil.

Looking for ideas, and suggestions.

Although I'm really enjoying the 'warm honey" texture, and what I consider an Umami Bomb in flavor, they do seem luke-warm in temp. Any advice on increasing temps and reducing time to get that thick runny texture, while increasing finished temp would be appreciated. I am NOT confident it can be done.

They just don't seem as "hot" as when I do a sunny side up, or over easy eggs in a pan, with similar yolk texture (though not quite as thick). Possibly because I'm getting the temp feel from the whites.

Hi Count, in my pre SV days, I used to lay cling wrap over a cup and crack the egg into it and tie the end before gently poaching. Perhaps try that after separating the yolk as the cling film may be gentler than the vacuum bags. If not perhaps place in a buttered ramekin and cover then gently poach? Good luck.
    On another method Kenji recommends placing a fresh egg in a tight seive to separate the very loose water outer white from the inner white as it inevitably stays 'non set'.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a GREAT idea. Why didn't I think of it? I'll give her a go today. Thanks.

I'm not sure I follow the fresh egg and sieve, as I've done eggs in the shell.

Got ya, the sieve thing only applies for traditional poaching. Not SV. SV I go 75C for 13 and a half mins but it varies in consistency's due to size, freshness, room temp v fridge etc. It's the best I have yet though.

Comment

Three processes I've found:
      Cook whole eggs, separate white from yolk.
      If sous vide eggs had been invented two thousand years ago, there would have been entire books of The Bible dedicated to their praise.  But …

Separate and bag individually.
      It is with cooking eggs that the sous vide method really showcases its worth.  The consistency and temperature of an egg is affected by its temperature with each degree making a noticeable differen…

Separate, bag with oil.
      Learn how to use your sous vide equipment to make perfect confit egg yolks with our easy to follow step-by-step guide, including ideas on how to serve them.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Potkettleblack, I had seen a couple of those while googling info. Not the last one, but I figure in a pan with oil is quite similar. Somehow missed that they were separating the white from the yolk AFTER the bath in your first link though. That sounds like a mighty task.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, with proper time and temp, the yolks are firm and the whites rinse off fairly easily. At least if Seattle stood Geek is to be trusted (I think so).

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here