Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3604.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	299440 Process:

Trimmed and divided in two pieces as you would carve for slicing, with a pure piece of flat and a piece with flat and point. Bagged in 2 gal zip locks naked. Joule for 131x48. Ice bath, fridge, wait for weekend.

Brisket halves removed from bags, dried, salted with Omnivore Salt, rubbed with BBBR, let stand for an hour. Grill set with left burner on high, full pellet tube, Mixon Conpetition pellets. Grill holds 300-325 set like this.

Brisket run until proper bark set. Flat to 160, mix to 145. Let stand under foil on counter for an hour. Unnecessary, but what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	299439

Fine lookin' brisket!!! Nice job, thanks!!!

Comment

Great looking slices. Thanks for sharing. How do you like those smoke tubes? Does it start to burn from the burner heat, or do you light the tube, then put it into the grill? I have heard good things, but never used one.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes works great, sometimes not so good. It's all about positioning given the venting on a gas grill. You light it with a torch.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, So does the wind have a big effect? Potkettleblack

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. I find wind can move my temp by a good 20 degrees on a windy day when cooking lowest. Not as much shift at the higher temp. Didn't closely monitor.

Looks very good to me.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Came out very good. Basically, Cantwell's steak technique, adapted for a tough cut.

Nice. Where you been? Working on another Masters or PhD stuff??

I forgot I had a brisket in the fridge dry brining. I'm hanging it later tonight.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Been doing more pressure cooking and braising and indoor cooking. But i've had some mojo loss, tbh.
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; April 3, 2017, 03:55 PM.

Looks great, Potkettleblack. Two questions:

1) Where do you find 2 gallon ziplocs? I've only seen 1 gallon.

2) You say the brisket went in the bath naked...no brine or anything? Just right into the bags?

Related: Will dry brining work AFTER sous vide, since the meat is already cooked and presumably the salt either won't penetrate or will do so differently? I don't have any appropriate science background to comment further on it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        2 gallon Ziplocs...
        I bought three boxes of them offa Amazon, here a month, or so back...

Originally posted by doctorak View Post
      Looks great, Potkettleblack. Two questions:

1) Where do you find 2 gallon ziplocs? I've only seen 1 gallon.

2) You say the brisket went in the bath naked...no brine or anything? Just right into the bags?

Related: Will dry brining work AFTER sous vide, since the meat is already cooked and presumably the salt either won't penetrate or will do so differently? I don't have any appropriate science background to comment further on it.
      1- Found them on Amazon. Bought 3 boxes of 10, when I needed two for Thanksgiving. Finding uses for them with large cuts and my big cambro that I use for making bread.

2- That's naked. In the bag with nothing on it. I was unsure on whether I was going to use the purge or not. I had it in my mind to possibly use it as the base for the Texas pit dip. If I'm going to use it for saucing, I want it pure. If I use a rub in the bag, it generally flavors the purge. You could pre-dry brine, but honestly, I got it home before I realized my freezer was overflowing, so I had no place to store it. So, into the bath.

On the related question... I gave it a nice coating of Omnivore Salt, which is finely ground, and has some spices in it, then laid on the BBBR and let it sit for an hour. I dunno if it penetrates like a 24 hour dry brine, but it was effective in adhering the rub, though I might use the egg white trick next time, just to see. I found it not in need of seasoning, so I think it was okay by me.

docblonder might have a more informed opinion on brining pre-sous and post-sous.

Comment

• doctorak
        doctorak commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. Of course I just saw this and now need some 2 gallons but don't have time to order them before I start 6 lbs of lamb leg on Sunday for Monday's Passover dinner. So I may just end up cutting them further and using 1 gallons. But good to know for the future!

I thought about dry brine first then seasoned it with BBBR before I seal it up and put it in the bath. I have had good luck doing other meats like steak this way. I just did a pork butt this past weekend that was seasoned with MMD before freezing it and it turned out awesome, it seems like the water bath amped up the seasoning just a bit so the taste was really good.

Comment

Pre-vs-Post sous vide brining. Salt has two functions (besides flavor). It helps retain moisture, and breaks down meat proteins (at low levels). Moisture not an issue in sous vide, but I find I can use about half the normal amount of salt in sous-vide, then add the second half post sous-vide for flavor. Too much salt will toughen the meat, a bit.

Consider 1/4 tsp kosher salt/lb during sous vide, and 1/4 tsp kosher/lb in the smoker. Halve the amounts if fine table salt, but always a matter of taste.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Doc. Appreciate the insight. I generally SV without any salt, but might start with this half salting amount.

• doctorak
          doctorak commented
          Editing a comment
          This is terrific info, thanks Doc. I've been doing a full dry brine before going into the bath, but this is some great insight.

I did salt the brisket that I am cooking today with kosher salt but I did not use 1/4 tsp/lb, maybe not even half that amount. I just gave both sides a good sprinkle and put it in the fridge. I don't like that much salt so I tend to under salt to be on the safe side because I know I can add more later. This is about a 5 lb flat after trimming and I probaby put 1/2 to 3/4 of a tsp on it so I am a under what is recommended. I am going to use a commercial rub from Big Poppa Smokers on it after it comes out of the water bath that has salt in it so that will add some to it before going in the smoker. The only reason I am not using BBBR is because I don't have all the ingredients to make it and don't have time to go to the store to get what I need plus I have been wanting to try this rub that I already have.
        Last edited by vandy; April 6, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here