Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating with a sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating with a sous vide

I have some left over pork chops , I was thinking of Reheating with my joule ANY one else try this ? I figure I would just stick them in a bag and heat them to 135 or so. I would think the time would be less as they are already cooked.

just my 2Cents on
    Reheating

Leftovers 165º F minimum
    Cold food 41º F or below
    • Food must reach temperature within 2 hours.

Comment

I would think that would be fine, depending on the thickness of the pork chop. Most of the advice around here is to not reheat to a temp over the temp it was cooked at. If they are frozen, add maybe a half hour or more, depending on thickness. I'm learning this thing myself though.

Comment

I always reheat left overs to 165 F. You could reheat to a lower temp, but the meat must rest at that temp for a certain amount of time to be safe.
        Check out Meathead's article on reheating leftovers.

Comment

Whether an item benefits from reheating in a SV depends in part on how it was initially cooked, and how it was handled after being cooked. If the pork chop had been initially cooked in a way that left it relatively dry, sous vide will not improve it -- it's not magic. In addition, there is a food safety issue: if the item had been left essentially untouched and whole and quickly cooled below the danger zone then the length of time it takes to bring it up to serving temperature might not be an issue. For example, I'm not fond of using SV to reheat leftover pulled pork since the pulling vastly increases the surface area and exposure to potential pathogens.

For these reasons, I don't typically use the SV for reheating. The virtue of SV is the exact temperature control and reheating isn't a task that exploits the SV's strengths.

Just nuke that bad boy in the damn microwave.

Comment

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...lmost-anything
            I use sous vide to reheat anything. If you were worried, which if you are about leftovers, you shouldn't eat. As long as you didn't leave it sitting out for hours before you refrigerated it your fine. If for some reason you think reheating, bringing from fridge temp to eating temp, would hurt you, which it shouldn't, keep it in the bath at 131 long enough to pasturize. But if you would feel safe eating it cold from the fridge, putting it in a bath at minimal temp and time to get it warm isn't going to provide the time and conditions to grow anything bad. If it's something like a nice left over steak sous vide with a simple refreshing sear is definitely the best way to do it. A lot of people use sous vide exclusively to cook followed by a simple retherm to eat. Chefsteps always recommends sous vide extra to eat at a later time. A good number of folks in the pit bought their circulator just to reheat leftovers.
            Last edited by Michael Brinton; April 2, 2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I very rarely reheat to cooking temp for that very reason. If I am safe to eat it as a cold-cut I am safe to reheat my desired serve temp. A perfect example is brisket. Pull temp is 195-203. Reheat temp is rarely above 135.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here