Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Buffalo Wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Buffalo Wings?

I'm not a fan of wings drenched in sauce. We used to have a pizza restaurant around here that served hot wings (baked in the pizza oven) that were hot without the any sauce.

I've done some google searches for recipes, and think I can put together some decent rubs and brown them up on the HB or Hibachi.

I would like to attempt a sous vide cook on them first though. On small, bone in cuts, I've always had trouble getting them done close to the bone without over cooking. I'm pretty sure that trouble can be overcome with sous vide though.

I plan to pat them dry then let them air dry in the fridge for a while, after the bath.

My first question is would anyone recommend applying the rub to the bag before the bath? I haven't planned on using the purge for anything here, and am wondering if there is any advantage to the wings "marinating" in it's rub and own juices while bathing. I know most rubs won't penetrate much on a typical cook, but don't know how/if that changes in sous vide. If there is no added benefit, I imagine I would need to re-apply rub before browning, and just wasted a bunch of spices.

Also, you know (sometimes anyway) when you go to KFC and you can eat EVERYTHING but the bone?? As if the cartilage has melted, pulls so easily off of the knuckles, and is in no way intrusive on mouth feel. (that happens not so often anymore around here, and I am always pleasantly excited when I get a "good batch") At what temperature does that happen? I would just love to demolish all that cartilage in my wings, without turning them dry or mushy. Would like for them not to fall off the bone while on the grill either.

Is this even doable? Melting all that knuckle cartilage without loosing all bone adherence while grilling? KFC does it (sometimes), but they fry. I'm planning SV and using a HOT grill as a faux broiler, trying to crisp those skins after the bath.

Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 1, 2017, 10:46 PM.

I'm pretty sure I have done 165 sv for 1.5-2 hours. Let dry in fridge for a day or two, drop in 400 degree grease just long enough to crisp up.

Comment

Count, I am with you. I am not a fan of sauced up wings, either. I just last week did some wings with Old Bay sous vide. They were in the fridge overnight with the rub on them due to an unforeseen cooking delay. I put them in the sous vide bag with the rub on. Water bath at 165 for 1 hour. Patted them dry, and sat them in fridge until the SnS was ready. Crisped them up over screaming hot coals. They were the best wings I have had in a long time. And YES, I definitely think they benefited from having the rub on in the bag.
      Last edited by Thunder77; April 2, 2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        How does that 165* for that time frame affect that cartilage? No crunchy/chewy nuggets?

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would go a bit longer to get rid of the crunchy nuggets. They were completely cooked through at 1 hour, but not super soft. Maybe add a half hour to see what that does?

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. Thanks for the info.

After doing a pound both ways today, I can say you get more bang for your buck (as far as spice flavor & intensity) rubbing after the bath.

The ones rubbed before were better. Still plenty of flavor, without being overpowering. I guess I can cut back on the after bath spices and get the same affect though.

Method = 2 hours @165, long ice bath, dry/remove gelatin, brief fridge time, then seared/browned on the Hibachi.

Still haven't narrowed down the best charcoal load/set-up for it yet. Was running pretty warm... around 650ish. Charred a few more than I would like, but just a little char is a good thing.

This did NOT break down the cartilage like I had hoped though. Quite edible though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here