Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In hot hot water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In hot hot water

Ok I am no longer on the fence with sous vide, ordered joule last night. Now I need a super recipe to cook for my wife so she is sooooo impressed she does not care or notice a new cooking tool if not I am a dead man....... oh and while I love red meat she does not eat it. Please please help me avoid the hot water I might be in.

What does your wife enjoy the most? That's what I'd start with...

Comment

Can you do shrimp with it?

Comment

Congrats! You won't regret it.

I'd say chicken breast would be a good choice. It's almost always dry, but it sure ain't dry when done SV. It's good example of what SV can deliver and as such it'd be helpful for making your case. Then there's SV creme brulee.

Now you can make homemade yogurt easily. If you're interested, I'll post the "recipe".
      Last edited by Willy; March 29, 2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        I will second the vote on the chicken breast, I have done them twice so far and both times the meat was so juicy and tender it was hard to believe they were boneless chicken breasts.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll vote for the chicken breasts too. An SV showcase item. Then there are mussels and scallops if she like those.

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        Another vote for chicken breasts in the SV. Just season and finish them on GG... so easy that I can do it.

Of course and although I have never done shrimp myself yet I'm sure others will chime in.
      But just for some ideas :

​​​​​​​And chicken breast is awesome done SV...

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook skinless boneless chicken breast at 140f for two hours. No sear required IMHO. Very juicy...

Homemade yogurt: Heat a half gallon of milk (I prefer whole milk) to 180°F, then cool to 115°F. AFTER it's cooled, add a packet of yogurt starter (available at health food stores, many home brew stores, or online) and mix it in well. Pour into two one-quart canning jars and place in a sous vide bath at 115°F for ten-twelve hours.

Refrigerate and enjoy.

In place of the starter, you can use a couple of tablespoons of a good quality yogurt, one that has active cultures. I've found this less reliable than a purchased starter.

This yogurt has no thickeners/gelling agents, so it is runnier than store bought and it's nicely tangy. I really prefer it to sweetened, thickened. store-bought. Also, the starter packet says to use one quart of milk, but one packet easily does two quarts and is therefore cheaper. (one packet costs about $1) We have this over homemade granola and fresh fruit (pineapple and grapes!) almost every morning.
      Last edited by Willy; March 29, 2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Easy - put it in the bathtub and tell her you bought her one of them there new mini spa devices. After she is less than impressed with it declare that you are not wasteful and can think of another use for it. Put your finger under your chin and look up - you know - that contemplation look. You have to give it at least 10 seconds or she will get suspicious. More time and she will think you zoned out. Suddenly, say "I've got it! You know those French cooking things? They are big and bulky. I'll bet I can replicate that with this little thing".

Comment

• Amajeff99
          Amajeff99 commented
          Editing a comment
          are you guy trying to make me sleep in the Shed. LOL well at least I would be closer to the grills .

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF - I looked at a lot of clip art cartoons after your response and laughed at a bunch of them. I went back to Willy 's suggestion, too. I really laughed at the thought of how that scenario would play out. Poor Amajeff99. We have put him in the same pickle we are all in with MCS!

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          @tbob4: A toilet pose????????????????? Your further in the gutter than even I am! ;«)

+1 on the chicken breast. That's what first impressed my wife. Second might be pork loin chops, with black cherry glaze.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, pork loin or tenderloin. Just think of things that are easy to overcook, or that tend to get dried out.

chicken breast and asparagus.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          + another on chicken and asparagus. Just did it last night.

My wife isn't a big fan of either red meat or chicken breasts. One sous vide recipe she likes a lot is saumon mi-cuit (salmon cooked at 40 deg C). It's nearly impossible to do using standard cooking methods.

Comment

Buy some really nice halibut. Cook it SV style and pour some hollandaise sauce on it. Serve it with fettuccine Alfredo and steamed asparagus. A nice Chardonnay would push her over the culinary cliff.🤗

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think I want a stable!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Ed... I only have 2 SV circulators.😎

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus one on Breadhead 's suggestion re three SVs, with the qualifier that grilled asparagus is fine too!

Second the salmon recommendation. Follow the Joule app guide and you can cook it exactly like she likes it. She can look at pictures of the salmon cooked at different temps and choose how she thinks she'd like it best. You can also brag about how this wonderful app was FREE.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah! Free!!!!

Mmmm. Joule Salmon!!! With a asparagus.

Comment

I never hated carrots but I also never went out of my way to eat them but after trying this:

I became a fan. Sometimes I sub honey for the sugar.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve Vojtek, I second your experience. My wife went nuts over them. Willy, yes the skillet step is important. It gives them a nice bit of browning/carmalization.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy almost everything that comes out of an SV bag looks ugly. A quick sear adds taste and makes it look much better. If it looks attractive that sends a signal to your taste buds that this is going to taste great.👍

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy I prefer to finish them in the skillet. It concentrates the juices into a nice glaze.

Absolutely do what Breadhead said. Use the new device and grillin apparatus in cooking her favorite item. That way it will begin to justify the new purchase. Don't forget to tell her that you were thinking of her when you made this decision, since you can't cook red meat for her, because you so want to please her with your cooking. Lay it on thick! And, whatever you do, don't let her see this post! 👀 🤗

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here