Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help on pork butt sous vide reheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on pork butt sous vide reheat

I'll be smoking some butts ahead of time since the 26 & 22 kettles and PBC can only hold so much.

Twas thinking of vacuum sealing the whole roast (approx. 3-4lbs), or pulling and reheating pulled stuff.

Not sure which route to go.
    ​​​​​​

I vac seal leftover pulled pork and reheat in a hot water bath - I don't have a su veed, but the hot water bath works well. I think sealing the pulled pork creates enough contact for good heat transfer.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Or an LSG. I know I'm an ass

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no idea how that posted that fast. But vacuum sealing and souve whatever its called will keep everything all nice and moist. I have faith in you Jerod.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha Steve B I have a set of stairs to go up with all my cookers. My truck tailgate levels off perfect so whatever I get needs to ride back there.

I'm with RonB here. For this purpose, you don't really need to sous vide. A simple hot water bath is fine, even if the food is frozen. Boiling, in moderation, is fine too. When we cook larger portions of meat, especially for tacos, etc. we chill, then vacuum pack the leftovers for freezing. Works like a charm. Rib racks are good this way too, with a little adjustment in technique, as well. I hope this helps...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Sous vide will actually be easier where I will be.

The best thing will be is when someone sees you boiling or SVing and they come up and smart off "If you boil ribs the terrorists win"

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Haha, no worries, the people I run with are taught that by me.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Besides you probably also taught them that no terrorist can withstand bacon!

I've sealed smoked chuck roasts multiple times. Twice I've pulled them, and twice I bagged the whole roast. Reheating both sous vide doesn't seem to make any significant difference that I can tell. There's less work to do on-site if you pull it ahead of time, but not by much. I bag (leaving it open), then put in an ice bath for 15-20 mins to cool it quickly without losing a bunch of moisture, then seal it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
      I'm with RonB here. For this purpose, you don't really need to sous vide. A simple hot water bath is fine, even if the food is frozen. Boiling, in moderation, is fine too. When we cook larger portions of meat, especially for tacos, etc. we chill, then vacuum pack the leftovers for freezing. Works like a charm. Rib racks are good this way too, with a little adjustment in technique, as well. I hope this helps...
      What temperature do you use in the hot water bath for reheating, Strat50? How long does it take to get to serving temps? Meathead says that all leftovers should be heated up to 165°F. Is that what you do in your restaurant?

badf00d , what temp do you use for reheating the frozen chuckies in your sous vide setup?

I'm obviously researching both options. Family is coming in for a visit and I'd like to do a lot of the cooking ahead of time.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Kathryn

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of our re-heating is done in our ovens, due to the volume of food. However, our mashed potatoes are packaged in boilable bags. So, boiling water it is. And yes, 165 is the minimum temp for re-heated food. 180 is better.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much, Strat50 .

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Geometry is going to affect timing. Thin things reheat faster than big logs.

It's good to know that people have had success both bagging whole and pulling before bagging. I've bagged the whole (actually, half) butt because I thought that bagging the whole thing, cooling immediately in ice water, refrigerating, and then reheating in a sous vide would be safer than pulling and increasing the surface area.

Comment

I have been known to nuke left over pulled pork in microwave safe ziplocbags with a little butter...but that's just me...

Comment

fzxdoc - The rule of thumb for sous vide reheating is to not reheat at a higher temp than you originally cooked it, so something originally cooked at 135°F should not be reheated above that. For the initial cook of BBQ, however, we push internal temps up near 200°F, but you don't need to reheat anywhere near that.

For reheating BBQ, I use 150-155°F so it's just above eating temperature, and run it for about 45 to 60 minutes for frozen, and 30 to 45 minutes for refrigerated. If you get any juice in the bag during the reheat, just pour it back over the pulled pork or chuck and mix it in.

I can keep the bags in the bath, sealed up, not losing moisture or heat, while we get everything else ready to go. When everybody's ready, we cut open a bag. If you have multiple chuckies/butts, you can keep pulling them out of the bath as needed, instead of all at once. I do the same for ribs, pulled pork, etc.

Keeping extras sealed and in the bath also means I have a chance to store it again without another round of resealing. I just do a short ice bath, and back to the freezer or refrigerator. Can't get away with that too many times, but it's better than having it just go to waste.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, badf00d, for the extra information. Great stuff.

Kathryn

I'd pull, seal, and reheat that way. You can arrange the pulled pork into a flatter sheet, which will allow for faster reheating. Shape matters and a big thick roast will take a lot longer to come back to temp.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I was already thinking of flattening out like I do my bags of chopped brisket for other folks.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Works for soups, stews, and chopped meats. Anything where you can reconfigure, you can defrost/retherm faster.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Plus it fits into the freezer better when it's nice and flat. I freeze my homemade chicken and beef broths flat too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here