Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on the fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the fence

OK I am really on the fence with the Sous Vide thing. part of me really wants to try it out and part of me feels like it is cheating and chipping away at the soul of BBQ and Grilling. As I said I am totally on the fence and will probably move to the dark side (if it even is the dark side) and try it out eventually as my curiosity usually wins. my questions are does it effect the texture of the meat and what does it do the the flavor?

Its just another way to cook. You don't have to look at it as destroying the heart of BBQ or anything of the sort.

Last night, I made two butts on the KBQ, then I made wings. I didn't want to mess with making the Asparagus so I SV'd them to perfection. I love making salmon and sea bass fillets then searing on the Finex Skillet. You can do steaks too! They turn out very good but not as tasty as ones cooked the whole time over the live fire. In my experience.
    The donenss is perfect. And you can SV to the texture that YOU want. Poached eggs are phenomenal as well. And kicking up your pastrami by SV'ing for 4 hours at 195 F gave me results that I could never have hoped for by just steaming the pastrami.

So I think of SV as a compliment to my BBQ rather than a replacement. It's just another tool in my arsenal. Like my Digi Q DX 2 or the entire KBQ.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, you've been planting bacon seeds I see. Photos of the cook, when it ripens, are officially requested.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Spinaker cut that s*#£€ out I just got used to your scuba avatar. Now I gotta relearn again?
      Just messing with you brother. LOL

• Jeff_Carley
      Jeff_Carley commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^ Steve B, I completely agree with the avatar change as well. Trippy.

What Spinaker said

Comment

People need to realize that BBQ, like money, is amoral.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum!

For what it's worth, I was slightly curious about sous vide to enhance my outdoor cooking and thought my wife who is a credentialed chef might want to jump in with it but no - her comment was no I don't need another way to cook. So I'm going to save the money for something else and yes there is ALWAYS something else!

Comment

SV isn't cheating--it's another way to cook and it complements BBQ. Imagine if we were stuck with the original "cave man" style of cooking. C'mon, come to the "dark side"!!!

Comment

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree, Willy.

You may already have what's needed to try SV.

After you try it you may not be able to resist the "Dark Side" Luke.....

Comment

• Amajeff99
        Amajeff99 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great article like the idea of this method to test the waters so to say.

I haven't played around with my Anova much but it's pretty handy. I threw the pork chops in the bath last night and then ran out to watch the last half of my kids practice. Came back to perfectly cooked meat - just gave them a quick sear. I like it. It gives you another option during the winter if you don't want to deal with the snow on a weeknight cook.

Comment

Just realize that if you are like me, it will cost you money. I love my SV machine but I will be the first to admit that I have used it to experiment a lot. Not all the results have been good. So instead of just saying to myself "this doesn't work for me" I try it again, differently. It's no different than getting a new cooking toy of any kind. An example - Cheef gave us a link to a recipe for scrambled eggs that was spot on. Was I satisfied? Nope. I researched a link to a Kenji Alt scrambled egg recipe that was a shorter cook at a lower temp. It was reputed to be "the best scrambled eggs ever". If I were in a Rocky movie I would have loved the Kenji eggs. Put them in a cup, drink and off to the ring. I went right back to Cheef's method.

Comment

I think Meathead calls it cooking with Fire & Water...

I think Meathead thinks combining SV cooking with BBQ and grilling is a trend that is going to grow. I assume that's why he has given it space on the AmazingRibs website.

I've been playing with it and studying how to best utilize it for 2 years. It saves me lots of hands on labor time. It gives me lots and lots of leeway when I'm cooking for a large crowd. It greatly reduces time in the smoker for pork butts and briskets if you SV it first. Poached eggs, shell on, is a no brainer!!! Chicken breasts, fish and veggies are just better done SV style. Tri-Tips are better done SV style. I now cook most of my preprocessed Steakhouse Steakburger's that I've seasoned, shaped and vacuum packed before putting them in the freezer... SV style and sear them on a cast iron skillet. Just because it's faster (meaning less hands on labor), easier and tastes just as good.

Sous Vide has become an important step in my cooking arsenal that WILL NOT go away, ever!

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I am on the same track that you are on with the SV cooking method Breadhead. The more I use it the more I like it. Not everything has been a success but each time I use it I get better at what I am cooking with it. Chicken breasts cooked with it are the best I have ever done.

Ok I totally get the SV convenience, precision and potential better results but man I'm sorry, sitting around a pot of circulating water drinking beer and telling lies with good friends just won't work for me. Filthy hands, fire, occasional burns, smoke in your eye and friends to share that with is what I need. Great food is just a bonus.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          It does lack the romance of fire, doesn't it? we need to focus of how to set it up in a babbling brook, where we can fly fish and cook in the same waters maybe. Oh well. Until technology improves, I'll try to learn with the Anova... :-D

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Point taken EdF. My inner caveman just refuses to play.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't use the SV during the day time... let it do its thing while you sleep.😴 No beer required.👍

Originally posted by cgrover60 View Post
        Ok I totally get the SV convenience, precision and potential better results but man I'm sorry, sitting around a pot of circulating water drinking beer and telling lies with good friends just won't work for me. Filthy hands, fire, occasional burns, smoke in your eye and friends to share that with is what I need. Great food is just a bonus.
        A while ago I was going to have a dozen people over for dinner, a casual dinner. I was having a taco and pull pork sandwich bar... your choice. I SV'ed 4 - 8 pound pork butts for 15 hours to 160°. I ice shocked them and put them in the fridge overnight. The next day at 11:00am I took the PB's out of their SV bags, blotted them dry, brushed on some beef love, put Taco seasoning on 2 of them and Memphis Dust on the other 2 and in the large BGE they went - at about 40° out of the fridge - into the smoker at 225°, with some cherry wood chunks in the Smoke Pot.

Dinner was going to be served at 6:00pm. So I had 5 hours to put some bark on these butts and get them up to serving temperature and put them in the faux cambro, at 4:00pm, for 2 hours. While my food was in the Cambro I prepped all of my sides.

When my guests arrived i served cocktails and appetizers and when it was time to serve dinner I shredded the PB's and everyone selected their type of food.👍

SV'ing the meat first provided me lots of leeway. Had I smoked the meat start to finish in the smoker I had a restricted time for the unexpected occurances.

I could do it either way because of my experience but... I really prefer having the leeway for anything and everything to go wrong, and I still serve the food on time.

Comment

Couldn't pass up getting the Anova Sous Vide for $50 off. Did ribeye's this past weekend as a first cook. They were incredible. Medium rare from top to bottom with reverse sear. Tender. Juicy. Just as much smoke flavor as if they had been on the grill from start to finish. Did scrambled eggs the next morning. SO said they were best she had. Looking forward to more cooks especially beef tri-tip and flank steak. There are a lot of great recipes out there. Don't know why it works so well but it sure impressed me. And I have two smokers, Genesis gas grill, and Weber kettle with slow-n-sear to cook outdoors on. The sous vide adds another dynamic to your grilling hobby and is fun to cook with.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here