Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SV Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SV Bags

I received this ad from Anova in my email and wanted to pass it on to anyone who likes SV but doesn't have a vacuum sealer (sorry Huskee - I accidentally posted in SV instead of SV accessories):

https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-a...eid=54e3438e60
    Last edited by tbob4; March 21, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Saw these when they were first sold by Stasher. Tempting.

Comment

Nice! Think they would sell to Joule owner...........

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had ziploc freezer bags leak. They don't like higher temperatures that you might do to produce BBQ or vegetables.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Ziploc are especially weak at the bottom of the zipper. The bottom of the zipper tears easier when you are adding larger items. These might solve that problem. I would give them a try. tbob4 hogdog6 Potkettleblack

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, having all sorts of problems with the 1 gal zips. I do have a large quantity of 2 gal ziplocks, which seem to be made a bit better. But they are really large. I got them for turkey parts last T-day.

I think I'll pass. To me, that's just one more thing to clean and store.

Comment

is there a difference from using bags to a vacuum sealer approach ? What's better and why? New to this forum and new to sous vide

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to fun and learning! Enjoy good food!

Well it really depends on the user and use. For me, I use the 1qt or 1gal zips for shorter cooks, lower temps and warmups. For longer cooks and higher temps I use the vacuum sealer bags. I use the Food Saver bags when the food has been frozen, brined and otherwise ready to go. I always leave enough room at the top to open and insert a tablespoon for added weight and reseal. Otherwise I use the vacuum bags from Amazon (recommended on this site) because they're cheaper and they work very well in sous vide cooking. For instance I just finished smoked ham hocks that cooked for 48hrs @ 145F. What to make of all this? First this forum provides a ton of insight as above and on other threads. There's no magic wand, you learn as you go. I always view my cooks as "a work in progress". It helps me keep my sanity as one can get overwhelmed with trying to sort out all the great suggestions. Welcome to the club @Gerardinni!!

Comment

I wouldn't cook anything over 150 for an extended period in a ziplock bag. But for most proteins I keep it below 140, so use 1 and 2 gal freezer ziplocks. For everything else, anything with bones, I bust out the vacuum sealer.

Comment

BTW Gerardinni ; Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!
            I'm hopin' ya' enjoy th' Ride...

Comment

• Gerardinni
              Gerardinni commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mr. Bones.....finding my way around

Welcome to the Pit Gerardinni ...👍

I always use my vacuum sealer for my SV bags. I always double seal them on each end to minimize any chance of a leak.

Comment

I hear you loud and clear.....vacuum seal and double seal. No ziplock bags. Got it. Thanks all. Newbie to the pit.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                There's no hard and fast rules in the kitchen. We're just making helpful suggestions.👍

• abandonedbrain
                abandonedbrain commented
                Editing a comment
                BUT, your suggestions are based mostly on experience, which is one of the things I love about this forum!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here