Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-Vide-Que Ribeyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-Vide-Que Ribeyes

Sam's had ribeyes on sale and youngest son, home from college this weekend, started drooling at the display case so a package was destined for the Clint Cantwell method of SV-Q Ribeyes (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...eye-steak.html).

The steaks were dry brined overnight and popped into the HTTM for 1.5 hours (they were only 1-1.5" thick so I reduced the time in the tub by 30 minutes from Clint's recipe). The only thing I put in the bags were the steaks and a sprig of thyme.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RibEye - 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	291848

Name:	RibEye - 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	291849

After their time in the HTTM, they went into an ice bath and then the refrigerator while we went to the range. When we got back, on to the smoker they went.

Name:	RibEye - 3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	291850

Once they hit 115* IT, I brushed them with some oil and sent them off to the Weber Kettle for a quick sear.

Name:	RibEye - 4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	291851

They turned out awesome and The Boss and my Son agreed these were the best effort so far with SV-Q steaks.

Name:	RibEye - 5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	291852

Name:	RibEye - 6.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	291853

Looks pretty darn good to me!

Comment

Do you deliver? Looks great.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB the delivery fee to Richmond is pretty steep. Thanks!

Look great! I like that rack too.

I bought the little plastic balls finally, after using the SV for 5+ years, and have been assessing whether they keep things submerged (in addition to their intended purpose). Pretty good on steaks and small stuff, but I expect I'm going to need something more robust for bigger cuts.

Comment

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed the Sous Vide Q method. I really love the results!

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Clint Cantwell This is by far now our favorite way to do steaks. Thanks for sharing the method with us!

That's awesome, T-bone ... I did exactly the same thing with a couple of tenderloin steaks last week with pretty much the same excellent results that you had. About the only difference is that I skipped the ice bath (just let them "rest" long enough to come down a few degrees before searing):

Name:	SV Steaks 20170310-3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	292087

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        MBMorgan that looks super tasty. Great job!

Beautiful!

Comment

Slightly off topic, I guess ... but I wonder how effective those floaty "ping pong balls" really are at minimizing evaporation from the SV bath. From my (many) days as a geoscientist, I vaguely recall that a single layer of such balls will have almost 50% porosity ... meaning that a single layer of them is like covering just under half the surface of the hot tub. Two or more layers will settle down a bit ... but will still have more than 25% porosity ... meaning that there is still only about 3/4 of the surface really covered (for those that care, I'm assuming that they will naturally settle into rhombohedral closest packing ... which is a sort of best case scenario).

One of these days, I may have to invest in a big bag of ping pong balls, find my old lab coat, a bottle of good wine, and play Mad Scientist for a day or two ... my wife's gonna hate what I do to the kitchen ... ... again ... ...

Comment

• asic_cliff
          asic_cliff commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like the porosity would be 1-pi/4 - a circle of radius 1 vs. a square of length 2. About 21%. Also, the balls give a surface for condensation. Maybe we need Dr. Blonder? Nice article about Dr. B in April APSNews (American Physics Society), BTW

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          asic_cliff - you'd be correct if the ping pong balls were 2 dimensional circles ... but they are 3D spheres. The only surface available for condensation would be the on the small portion of balls above the water line. Once the balls reach thermal equilibrium with the water ... no condensation.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; April 19, 2017, 04:54 PM.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          asic_cliff - I should add that packing theory can get a little complex. What you calculated was a 2D version of Cubic Closest Packing (CCP) ... the model with the most porosity. More likely are Hexagonal and Rombohedral Closest Packing (HCP and RCP) ... both of which have lower inherent porosities.

Great looking cook T-bone. Thanks for the write-up and the great pics.

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Lowjiber thanks and my pleasure!

I'm new to this SV thing and appreciate the pics and write ups. I've had some good succces because of the super info ya'all have shared... Thanks!

Comment

I am confused as to why the meat from the SV gets cooled. Why not just go from SV to the grill? I know lots of folks do this, but the reason eludes my simple mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            I am confused as to why the meat from the SV gets cooled. Why not just go from SV to the grill? I know lots of folks do this, but the reason eludes my simple mind.
            You can go directly but you've got to be really careful not to overcook the meat while searing. It's going to increase in temperature at least 10 degrees during the sear so it often makes more sense to cool beforehand. Also, if you're adding smoke, cold meat accepts it far better than hot.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              I cook SV to 130, the immediately to hot GGs for 30-45 sec a side. I haven't bothered to check the IT, but we get perfectly rosy meat crust to crust--no "gray band". Seems like, if the sear technique raises the temp, why not SV at 5-10° cooler? Agree on the smoke.

• Lowjiber
              Lowjiber commented
              Editing a comment
              Similar to Willy I SV ribeyes to 131 and right on a super-hot set of coals for no more that 30 sec/side. Perfect every time.

I have used ice-bath for things like chicken breasts that I'm gonna finish on GG's.

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              Willy I chill mainly so I can get smoke on the steaks. We've tried it both ways and the family much prefers the flavor of the smoked version vs. charcoal w/ wood chips for sear/smoke.

I did this with a two pound clod of strip loin.

SV at 129 for three hours. Chill for forty minutes or so. Smoke to 115 IT, sear.

I had some trouble with my grill (due to mild winter, have not done but annual clean, so temp control was a bit beat), that led to a bit of excess banding, but overall result was very very good.

Name:	IMG_3605.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	302837
            solid technique. Next experiment is to do a half salt dry brine ahead of the Sous vide.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good! I gotta get to the annual BGE clean soon.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, wife said something sweet and gave it a 10/10. I gave it 8/10 due to banding issue and potential flavor/texture improvement.

Have to cook through more of my freezer before I get to the next iteration.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              It is amazing the difference a clean grill makes. My temp control is back to rock steady, and I pinned the lid thermometer during a burn in. Back to working close to new.

Had a "steak-off" last night between me and my sister-in-law who was visiting for the holidays. I asked her to pick me up ribeyes, and boy did she ever. Two 18-20 oz dry-aged ribeye steaks. I dry brined with 1/4 tsp per lb of kosher salt overnight then put them in the bath about 2.5 hours at 130 with just some fresh rosemary for aromatics, then let them come down a few degrees and seared on the GrillGrates on my gasser with some hickory chips in the grooves. Rubbed with some pepper, an adiitioinal 1/4 tsp/lb kosher salt, and garlic powder mixed into a paste with some canola oil. Turned out great, perfect texture and doneness for me (and rave reviews from the fam). Pic taken during slicing.

Name:	IMG_20170418_181420.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	307171

She cooked some fantastic, very thick filet, but just seared in a cast iron with some S&P followed by finishing in the oven. Don't have pics.

We all decided that, really, EVERYONE won this steak-off.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Rosemary, as vegetable matter, really needs to get up to 180 or so before you get much flavor release. And even then, the juice comes from the steak, not into the steak.

• doctorak
              doctorak commented
              Editing a comment
              That is really helpful to know, thanks! It is interesting that every cooking site I've used (Serious Eats, ChefSteps) always recommends it. Maybe for "effect" in their presentation of cooking SV moreso than flavor.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I think Kenji has gotten away from aromatics in the bag. Since CS always does something with the purge (which they don't process as I do), in making a sauce or something, I think that's their intention.
              SV is not new, but there's a lot of non-science to it.

Oh man, it's getting towards dinnertime! Nice looking steaks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here