Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVBBQ Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVBBQ Brisket

Here's a brisket I did today. This was a choice 11 lber I found at Walmart for 2.75 per lb. Separated the point and flat and brined overnight. Then sous vide 24 hrs @154F (per chefsteps) and then put on ice for a few hours. Refrigerated overnight and then smoked probably for 3 hrs until it was about 154F in the thickest part.

The point was good. Not really that juicy but tender. The flat was a little dry. But it was probably about the best I've cooked brisket. Definitely not the best looking brisket I've ever made but not having to worry about it overnight was the best part especially when serving for lunch. I've probably only cooked brisket about 6 times or so due to it usually being closer to $10 per lb around me.

Just as an FYI, I trimmed off about 2.5 lbs and I saved about 2.5 to 3 lbs of purge. All of which I'll have to figure out something to do with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_151315.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	287862

Name:	20170312_150208.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	287861

Name:	20170312_150228.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	287860

Name:	20170312_150251.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	287859

Potkettleblack have you gotten fold over your finger tender brisket with SV?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      As I generally cook for two, I've only really done one brisket, ChefSteps style. I haven't done a mixed smoker Sous one. I should do more, as it's the costco ones here.

That looks a lot better than the brisket in your profile pic.

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I'm no brisket master like you for sure.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      josht138 still working on my first course.

I love s.v., and I love BBQ, so I keep trying to make a super smoke+sv brisket. To be honest, starting with a high-quality brisket (in my case SRF), I still can't beat a full-on Franklin-style cook on my Memphis pellet smoker. Now those briskets (like Franklin's) are pretty expensive, so I'm thinking I'd see more impressive results if I did lower-quality, and less-expensive, briskets both ways.

Comment

Looks like real good brisket, josht138

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here