Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Corned Beef, Cabbage and Carrots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Corned Beef, Cabbage and Carrots

Since many will be thinking about corned beef next week, I thought I would post my method for making it sous vide:

Making the corned beef with this method results in a very firm but very tender texture.

I start with a store-bought corned beef brisket flat, because it's way cheaper than buying brisket and corning it yourself.

1. Open the package and set aside the spice packet. Thoroughly rinse all the goo off the flat. Soak in cold water (and in the fridge) for at least 12 hours or longer, changing the water several times. This will desalinate the beef. Trust me it will still be plenty salty.

2. Remove the corned beef from the water and put in a vacuum bag. Add the contents of the spice packet to the bag. Vacuum seal.

3. Put in a sous vide bath at 180F for 10 hours. Note: You'll need to weight the bag down as there will be significant out-gassing and will cause the bag to float. You don't want it to float.

4. Optionally cut up carrots and vacuum seal. Add them to the bath at the 7-8 hour mark so they cook for 2-3 hours. Otherwise pre-cook the carrots using your favorite method.

5. When the 10 hours is up, remove the beef pouch and cut open one corner. Pour the liquid and spices into a pot large enough to hold the cabbage and carrots.

6. Add your cut cabbage and pre-cooked carrots to the pot. Cook on medium heat until the cabbage is done to your liking. Transfer to a serving dish.

7. Slice the beef and serve the meal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corned-beef-cabbage.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	287029

Thank you! I was going to post a question about this very topic.

Comment

Awesome...Thanks!!!

Comment

That looks delicious!!!

Comment

mgaretz thanks! Super timely post. I have a frozen chunk of corned beef waiting for a little sous vide love. Time to thaw, desalinate and pop in the HTTM tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I tried the method linked below last year with great results too. Pretty close to yours.

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing how close Kenji and I came on this one. His pre-dates mine, but this is the first time I have seen his.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here