Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova broke already!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova broke already!!

So I'm warming up some water, taking it up towards the top end (but below the rated spec). Just testing her out, and hoping some time in a hot bath will help get rid of the smell coming from the rubber on the rack I purchased.

I start hearing a rattling noise, and check it out. The metal casement, surrounding the temp probe and heating element has come loose and wobbling around & bumping into the fan shaft as it does. I also noticed the bottom plastic piece has also come loose.

The outer metal piece won't snug back up, now that it is cooled. The bottom plastic piece is back on, but hardly secure.

Had planned on using it this weekend, for a family gathering at the lake too. Looks like that is not gonna happen now. No time to ship back and receive a replacement before Sunday.

Highly frustrated!! 3 freagin' weeks!!

I'll call customer service tomorrow and see what they have to say... and start the return process.

Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
    So I'm warming up some water, taking it up towards the top end (but below the rated spec). Just testing her out, and hoping some time in a hot bath will help get rid of the smell coming from the rubber on the rack I purchased.

I start hearing a rattling noise, and check it out. The metal casement, surrounding the temp probe and heating element has come loose and wobbling around & bumping into the fan shaft as it does. I also noticed the bottom plastic piece has also come loose.

The outer metal piece won't snug back up, now that it is cooled. The bottom plastic piece is back on, but hardly secure.

Had planned on using it this weekend, for a family gathering at the lake too. Looks like that is not gonna happen now. No time to ship back and receive a replacement before Sunday.

Highly frustrated!! 3 freagin' weeks!!

I'll call customer service tomorrow and see what they have to say... and start the return process.

That sucks! Here's hoping their customer service is all that it's reputed to be ...

Comment

Sorry TheCountofQ. I just took mine out to make sure nothing is loose on it. Maybe they could overnight you one. They can send you a FedEx tracking number and as long as you put it in the FedEx system they can send you a new one.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya, possibly. Am not sure how it was really supposed to work or the customer service, since I bought thru Amazon. Never done an Amazon return before now. I just set up for a refund there though, and it appears they are available at some local stores. Honestly ...a bit wary of them now.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand your frustration. I've had mine since the release of the WiFi model and had 1 problem with the WiFi synch system when I received it. The issue never occurred again. Hardware is still solid. I bought mine through Anova.

If it works as intended, I can see where this "could" really reduce stresses involved with cooking for many people and timing. Probably the main reason I got it. This weekends cook will be served an hour+ away from my cooker, and there are always scheduling issues (people running late usually, sometimes the meat finishes early/later than intended). Wanna cook the proteins here at home ahead of time, since I know my cooker. Just rewarm and sear there.

Was planning on experimenting with chicken breast & thighs tomorrow, thinking I would actually do those there, at the time. Can still experiment, I guess, as long as there is one in stock near me.

I'd really like to know why the covers loosened up. It's as if the plastic softened. It's supposedly rated for 210F. The dial on mine goes to 211.5F. It started struggling maybe 205.

I don't imagine many recipes call for cooking near that high.

Comment

Mine does this. I never have the plastic end cap on or the propeller hits it. I try to straighten the shaft, no luck. It is just shoddy design, i.e., real long metal shaft with no support and expect it to stay straight? The thing works fine without the plastic end cap. Wish they had joule when i was looking now, but people have problems with that too.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          What about the stainless cover, is it still attached to the upper body?? Joule doesn't have manual operation, which IS a deal breaker. Maybe I should just spend the extra cash on a vacmaster. If it's built like their vac sealers, I would expect good things. Willing to pay for quality, not for junk!

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          TheCountofQ - nope. Sorry to hear that. I would super glue it, but I like to remove that part when cleaning and drying out. I would be ticked off too.

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks as though it is designed to be removed. It just won't tighten up enough to keep from wobbling around and hitting the impeller.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I just fired mine up for the first time last night, and had ZERO problems with it. Well, one problem. I couldn't connect it to my WiFi. But I suspect that it was me and not the Anova. The directions asked you to place the unit within 5 feet of the router, but I already had it in the pot, so I didn't want to move it. It was so quiet, I had to turn off everything in the kitchen to hear it running. I took mine up to 195 after cooking at 132 for about an hour, and it got there and stayed there.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I might just do that. I hope it holds up. The cost was pretty steep. I have only done one cook, but this seems pretty solidly made.

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          How was the meal, and what did you choose for your first cook?? Ya, I thought it was pretty solid too, until...

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I used mine initially the WiFi was an issue. I set it to 140 and it went to 200. Luckily, I was experimenting with pork chops. I emailed the Co. and they were going to send me one next day service. The issue never occurred again though, so I kept it. Software was in the beta stage then.

Not sure if this is the problem, but the metal sleeve has to fit over the blades on the end and then slide into the groves on the black portion of the unit. At first it can seem as if it doesn't want to go on, but if you look at it from the bottom when you slide the metal sleeve on you can get it lined up and it should slide up and then twist to lock in place. Not sure why the plastic piece isn't securing. I had a hard time getting mine off at first, but definitely locks in place. I'd call Anova directly. Even though I purchased mine through Amazon, I emailed Anova on a Saturday and they got one in the mail for me that same day.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. It is in the proper grooves, and the impeller is sticking thru the hole. There never is a click to lock in place, nor does it get snug. I shot them an email this afternoon. We will see. ..

An update.... Anova's customer service handled the problem promptly, and I went thru them instead of Amazon with the complaint and resolution.

After an email to the address on the website, I received a quicker than expected reply (as it was after hours), requesting some basic info about the unit and purchase. They then emailed me a shipping label. I notified them when it was dropped off at Fed Ex and they sent the replacement out to me, even before they received the broken unit back.

I currently have a couple of Beef Shank Steaks sealed and submerged, for both a 36 & 48 hour cook @ 132*.

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Huge + for great service!

Comment

Awesome!!!! Stories like that are what make loyal customers. Something can go wrong with any product but if the company does not resolve complaints word of mouth spreads. I really like my Anova and was disheartened to hear your story. If they didn't resolve it and I had to buy a second unit I would have gone with Joule. Thank you for the update.

Comment

Great to hear and thanks for the report!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here