Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Que-vide Chuck reheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Que-vide Chuck reheat?

I've read where many use a sous vide for re-heating. I've also read where most prefer to sear AFTER a sous-vide cook, rather than searing before.

So, just checking that my thinking is correct (being a newbie to sous vide), If I cook chuckies fully on the smoker then refridgerate/freeze a day or so ahead of a planned gathering,... reheating them sous vide, before serving, is a good thing??

They will be rubbed with BBBR, or some variance of. I've read that sous-vide and garlic/onion don't always go well together. Also read that sous videing a salted meat can produce a faux cure.

So what are your experiences/recommendations.

I'm really wanting to do these ahead of time, to relieve pressure of timing/travel, rest, other dish prep, and all around convenience.

I did something like this for a cook for 30 people. Picnics and Butts. Smoked a few hours first, SV-ed. A few of them I had cooled and brought back to heat with the SV. I torched all of them at the end. Any other kind of searing seems about right too if you smoke then SV. They'll probably be ok without a post-sear, but it's not really so much trouble.

Comment

Count,
      I use mine quite a bit to reheat BBQ just as you explained above. It works great. It does soften the bark, so be carful when you are taking it out of the bag. You can firm it back up by hitting it with a hot grill.

I have never noticed anything funky about garlic and onion in my rubs, after SVing something. I always put a brined steak in the SV bag. And I have never had any problems.

Comment

SV and raw onion/garlic don't play well together. Powdered works just fine, though.

Comment

Thanks all!!

As far as re-heating time and temp, am wanting to do some chicken also, so was considering reheating the chuckies in the same bath, while SVing the chicken, before a sear. I'm guessing that would be 150-160ish (will do some research).

Would that be an acceptable temp for reheating a fully cooked chuckie (200+ on the smoker and properly rested before cooling), assuming I am after a traditional pulled beef texture, rather than sliced? Maybe that would give to much moisture loss, twice cooked?

Comment

FWIW, I like to SV chicken (usually bone-in thighs with skin on) at 170 deg. F. for 8 hours. Any longer and you run the risk of the chicken getting mushy.

You can reheat the chuckie at any temp below it's cooking temp. 170 would be fine but I would only leave the chuck in for an hour (no more than two) while reheating.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Lowjiber, Ice shock before the sear??

• Lowjiber
              Lowjiber commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll typically throw 'em in an ice bath for about four minutes. I then keep my ThermoPen handy to keep 'em below/at 160* during finishing.

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, while waiting on your reply, I was browsing previous post and saw the breast you did at 146, then shocked and seared. I imagine, as thin as they are, the sear could really overcook/ dry out quickly. I didn't look like there was any pink in that post.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here