Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Brisket Flat 2 SV Experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Brisket Flat 2 SV Experiments

Brisket flat, as many of you have heard me bitch, is the only thing available at Costco in Northern NJ and it aint cheap.I picked a Choice 8 lber at $4.19 /lb. (The Texans just had heart tremors) It was oddly shaped, w a chunk that had no fat cap so I thought I’d cut about half off and cook it a different way.

Eperiment 1: Medium rare Brisket

31oz after trimming all the fat off (14oz). I salted it and then sous vide it at 125 degrees for 48hrs.7oz of liquid cooked out leaving about 24oz of meat.I then seared it on the Primo at about 1000 degrees.The result was pretty interesting.That tough cut of meat turned into something very similar to nice steak.This was the thin end of the flat and I wished I’d tried the thicker side.The look of the meat was identical to a nice steak and the taste was excellent.It’s a bit of an optical illusion though bc there is definitely something missing when it’s in your mouth.It’s not juicy at all.It wasn’t dry but there is no fat.I definitely missed that.As a "steak" it was pretty ok, but I thought it was really excellent as roast beef sammies where the juice of the lettuce, tomatoes and mayo allowed the correct texture and good beef flavor to shine.I would do this again specifically for the cold cuts.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	steak juice cooked out.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	284503Click image for larger version

Name:	steak searing.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	284505Click image for larger version

Name:	steak on the cutting board.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	284504Click image for larger version

Name:	steak plated.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	284502

Experiment 2: "Traditional" BBQ Brisket

The bigger thicker piece (65oz) I used to approximate bbq.I left the fat cap on, salted it and then covered it lightly w BBBR before sous viding at 165 for 24 hrs.I then put it in an ice bath and eventually stuck it in the fridge for a few days.Kenji says it can stay sealed in a food saver bag for up to a week.The day of the cook I intended to inject all the liquid back into the meat prior to cooking.I ran out of time so that didn’t happen.The 65oz had turned into 43oz after I took it out of the SV bag.I left it cold and wet, covered in a healthy amount of BBBR and threw it on the smoker at 275 for 3hrs – as per Kenji.Again, the SV really worked in creating perfect brisket meat texture.A slice pulled apart perfectly.That said the bark was nowhere near the bark you’d get on a full smoke.I did get an itty bitty smoke ring. But ultimately, the only reason I’d do this again would be to try injecting liquid into the meat after SV and before smoke to see if it made it juicy.I’m pretty good at creating relatively dry brisket flat when I bbq it, I don’t need a new method to do that.

Name:	traditional juice cooked out.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	284506Click image for larger version

Name:	traditional re rubbed and ready for smoke.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	284509Click image for larger version

Name:	traditional brisket .JPG
Views:	145
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	284507Click image for larger version

Name:	traditional plated.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	284508

Here's the finished product side by side so you can really compare the texture

Name:	steak plated.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	284510Click image for larger version

Name:	traditional plated.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	284511

Beautiful!

Comment

Very nice work. I love it when folks do experiments here and appreciate your description. When I look at the photos of your smaller side an idea popped into my head. My dad loves London Broil. However the way he BBQ's it renders a tough dry steak. I'm thinking that if I SV'd one first and gave it to him to BBQ it would turn out tender like small side of your brisket.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        All he'd need to do is sear it. I think i'll try this too. Let me know how it works out.

Nice writeup, great lookin' food, quality pics, as well!
      Fine Job, there!!!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, your picture still cracks me up!

Thanks for adding to the knowledge base!

Comment

Hey Potkettleblack , can you chime in on what you do or would do with the liquid in the above two scenarios? I remember on a post you had mentioned something but couldn't find it. Thanks.

Comment

JCBBQ thanks for the great info.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

@JXBBQ I to was wondering about that? I think they said you can use the juice if you strain it through a coffee filter 1st but I may be getting this and something else mixed up?

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            That does sound familiar. That might be it. I guess I'll wait for the SV vets to check in.

A great report.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks RonB!

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
          Hey Potkettleblack , can you chime in on what you do or would do with the liquid in the above two scenarios? I remember on a post you had mentioned something but couldn't find it. Thanks.
          Both methods, process purge per instructions in the Sous Vide thread sticky about purge.

For the steak texture one, I'd make a pan sauce with maybe red wine reduction, butter, whatnot. For the BBQ, I'd process, season and use as a dip. Like a pit sauce Texas style. If you prefer KC style brisket, I'd blend into a BBQ sauce and reduce.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks PKB! I'll check out the purge sticky.

Thank you for the information on the brisket.

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think having fun is the point of all of this experimentation isn't it. I have been having a blast since joining this site!

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            vandy, that's a heck of a nice looking smoker. What is it, a Lang?

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes JCBBQ it is a Lang Hybrid 36 Patio and it cooks some great Q.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here