Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us your Sous Vide set-up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show us your Sous Vide set-up.

Since I live alone, I'm just using a 1 gallon rubber-made water pitcher for now, but do cook for extended family on occasion, and sometimes have a few friends over. I need to come up with something better for the latter options.

I would like to see your set-up, and hear both what you do and don't like about it, or how you are thinking of improving it. Kinda enlightening me to "what I don't know that I don't know".

I realize insulated is better (how large can you go in an igloo?).

I realize you sometimes need to weight the bag. What are your hacks?

Does the circulator need to be at the bottom of the tub, or should it be fine a bit higher (and how much higher) as long as there is good circulation?

I also realize I may need several different sizes of containers, for the varying size cooks.

So, show me what you got!!
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; February 25, 2017, 04:48 AM.

Here is my set up with picture as soon as I edit this post with my picture taking phone.

1. Container with lid (lid not pictured). May insulate one day but the lid really helps. Haven't decided on insulating material.

2. Wire rack to hold down the light stuff

3. Pipe wrench and level are whatever they want to be.

I keep the circulator as low as possible but sometimes have to raise it some when I operate a full tub of water, well full until it starts spilling out where I cut it down some to fit the circulator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_024918.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	280602

Comment

Here are my 2 setups. Very minimal water loss using these cheap covers and a little plastic wrap.

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	280631

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	280632

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info .... I have a cheap circulator at the moment which is bulky and works in one centigrate degrees only... I like the app control thingie.... Like my Davy Crockett pellet grill is app controlled I like that...
        Modern technology don't you just love it???

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        I use 2 ThermoWorks silicone trivets for bottom air space and they're "grippy" so the tub stays in place.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve Vojtek roger that!

I use a rig similar to Jerod Broussard above. I use a 12qt tank with a cover.

I no longer have the pics on my computer, but there are some shots of the rig in action here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...hicken-breasts

One member inquired about the tank/cover, and I included the part numbers on post #9 of that thread.

I usually use vacuum sealed bags simply for the convenience. The rack holds most everything down in the bath and can be configured several ways depending on how it is oriented in the tank. I have put marbles in the bag before to hold things down, especially when using ziplocks clipped to the side of another pot.

Comment

Here's one of my setups. I also have a larger cooler if I need to cooker more. The hole is cut for using the clamp, but I've found it's not really necessary in this smaller version. I have a lid from a cottage cheese container that I cut a hole the same size as the circulator that I slide over the anova before putting in the water. It stops condensation from forming on the unit above the lid.

Name:	IMG_8116.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	280707

Comment

Pretty simple here. Just me and the Moonbeam. Two tenderloins. It has worked out well.

Name:	FullSizeRender copy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	280713

Comment

Pretty new to SV, but have put together a nice range of accessories that make using the HTTM a breeze.

Name:	Kit - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	280747
            This is my typical set up. The plastic balls work well to retain heat and reduce evaporation. I've done 18+ hour cooks without needing to add water. The plastic balls came with a zipper drain bag to dry and store the balls. These have been great and I use them every cook.

Name:	Kit - 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	280748
            The accordion gizmo is great to hold bags, keep them weighted down and eliminates the need for clips. The vertical posts are removable if a larger slot is needed. A highly recommended piece of kit. The stainless piece was something my son made out of scrap and works well for holding things down.

Name:	Kit - 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	280749
            A couple of smaller Cambro containers from Restaurant Depot when I'm cooking smaller items.

Comment

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Definitely. I really like it and I don't have to mess with clips when I use it. You can also use it vertically (resting on silicone handle) if you have a deep container.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the look of the rack too. I got the plastic balls a month or so ago and have used them on a coupe of cooks - they're great. And for a lot of things, they keep the bags under the surface too.

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              Here's a link for a rack similar to the one I have. This version has caps to cover the screws when you remove the pins for extra room. A nice feature. Link: https://smile.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-E...ag=amazi0a8-20

All interesting, so far. I think our largest steak cook (non sous vide) was for 9 adults (so far). Nice 2" rib eyes. I don't remember that we each had our own steak though. More of a cut in portions and buffet thing. The two larger systems look like they may handle that (as far as tub size goes), but the racks accommodating that many cuts looks questionable from here.

Thoughts??

Comment

TheCountofQ I dunno. I have a few pots out in the back kitchen. My usual is one of those blue enamel lobster pots, which is big enough for most of what we're likely to do. But we also have a couple of huge stock and canning pots for those special occasions. Don't ask about the time I grabbed a candle holder that still had a candle in it to use as a weight. Oy!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I read about that experience, while researching before posting this topic. Glad your controller survived!!

OK, starting off simple. I ran by a local restaurant supply, just to look at options. Ended up getting one of those square 12qt food containers, and a pliable lid to fit. It should be much easier to cut than the hard plastic... which reminds me of the plastic that covers many fluorescent light fixtures, which is a real pain to cut!!!

They had the larger rectangle containers and lids, w/o the precut notch for the circulator. The 6.5 gallon just didn't look large enough to hold all the beef ribs I am likely to cook, and therefore other meats also. I understand that 6.5 gallon is about the limit for the 900watt, without insulation.

I saw two things that may work for insulation there. Had some sheets of a rubber foam, about 3/4-1" thick. I think it was some floor mat stuff, but didn't seem heavy enough to endure foot traffic.

The other really intriguing thing I saw was an insulated hotel pan container. Super thick walls and lid (hinged I think), maybe thicker than a typical ice chest. Sealed up nicely. Flatter wider and longer than an ice chest. Maybe just about right for the depth of the Anova. I'll have to go back with a tape measure and the mounting bracket to get a better idea of if it would really work, and to figure just how many typical beef rib racks I think it could hold. A little bit over a Benjamin, price wise, and would need the hole cut in top. Anyway, just a thought.

I'll play with what I have for now, and mull it all over. Pretty sure I'm gonna need an insulated container, or a second set-up, to tackle the extended family get-togethers with a HTTM.

Of course, there is always the SV, shock, chill, then smoke method, where much could be prepared ahead.

Is anyone doing the insulated cooler, besides the small one pictured above??

How large could one go, would ya think?

And would the circulator still need to be setting near the bottom of the container, or would the circulation and insulation maintain a fairly even temp if it sat higher??

Comment

First time I thought to take a pic since the thread started.

Name:	20170324_192442.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	294541

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, aren't you the one who introduced it to us?

• TheCountofQ
                  TheCountofQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is what I thought too. I bought one also.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Works great!

I was about to buy a 16"x12"x8" polycarbonate food box with lid for about $35 when I happened to see some Ikea nesting plastic storage bins for about $3 with a lid for 50 cents. I bought two medium sized bins and one lid. I nested one bin in the other, with some thin bubble wrap in-between. I cut a hole in the lid for the circulator but I made it too big so rather than buy another 50 cent lid I wrap a kitchen towel around the circulator like a scarf. The outside of the nested boxes gets warm to the touch but never hot. The lid keeps evaporative losses basically to nil. I put a wire cooling rack under the cooking bag to allow circulation beneath. For super long cooks I place the whole assembly inside a cheap polystyrene cooler I saved from the trash.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	298299Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	298300 A bit redneck for now. I want to see how much I would use it first.

Comment

Very cool ideas thanks for starting the post thecountofQ . My sous vide is still in the box but then again I just got it yesterday.

Comment

I've got these two. The one on the right was a cheap one from Kogan (a budget online store in Australia) - I got it mostly to see how I felt about it as a cooking method as I was sceptical about lack of smell, interaction etc. After I realised how good it was I got the Anova- I like having two, it's great for doing meat at a low temp but maybe veggies or potatoes at a higher temp. Similarly if I put a two day beef cheek, short rib etc or similar on then I still have one free for dinner in the meantime.
                      Surprisingly after a couple years, the cheap Kogan one still performs accurately.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here