Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-Vide-Que Technique for Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! I was very fortunate. My local butcher had prime short plates and a Groupon promotion so that brought them down to a reasonable price.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Looks great! Wish I could find ribs like that, but I'm happy that you could. You worked magic with them!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• josht138
    replied
    Great work! Sous-Que FTW!

Leave a comment:

• hogdog6
    replied
    Looks delicious, thanks for the post.

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    I followed Potkettleblack 's advice and did not shock/chill them. It worked great without chilling and they had great smoke flavor. I smoked at 250* just for the bark.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't really shock here, but might shock and fridge for smoke adherence. But right out of HTTM for service is okay since you're going for something more like smoked texture.

• doctorak
    replied
    That is a great cook. I'm going to have to try that technique next time.

So you did not drop them in an ice bath before smoking?

And did you take them to a certain temp on the smoker or just 3 hours to bark them up?

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    replied
    Thanks to the great advice from The Pit, the SV-Q'd Beef Short Ribs were amazing. Juicy, super tender, but with great texture. Here's the photo timeline...

Dry brined, vacu-sealed ribs hanging out in the 160* HTTM for 12 hours
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	278823

Ribs given a liberal dose of rub and letting the magic happen in the smoker with mesquite and cherry wood

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	278824

After 3 hours on the smoker, wrapped in butcher paper and cambro'd for 30-45min.

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	278825Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 4.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	278826

Best President's Day lunch ever

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 5.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	278827

Even the pooch got her share

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 6.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	278828

Thanks again for all the help and great advice. The whole family agreed this was a home run.

Leave a comment:

• doctorak
    replied
    Also, T-bone, very much looking forward to how that beautiful piece of meat you're doing on the smoker turns out.

Leave a comment:

• doctorak
    replied
    Here's my results with 158 x 26 hours then just searing on the gasser (I had to shovel snow out of the way from my grill and really didn't feel up to firing up the smoker, plus by the time our company left this afternoon I was running out of time):

Coming out of the water bath, one of them immediately fell off the bone, and the other two peeled off pretty easily. The rest of the bag (including the bones) went into a sauce pot to reduce into a delicious onion-y sauce.

Name:	IMG_20170219_164951.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	278140

I salted and peppered the outside then threw them on the GG with some cherry wood. This was my first time using the GG and I put too much wood in the grooves, so it started to flame up a bit, but I moved the ribs off that area right after this picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170219_170530.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	278141

The texture was marvelous. The combo of the searing and likely a bit of the fire from the wood made for a pretty decent crust (nowhere near what I'd get smoking it, but still), and the meat was very tender and pulled with little effort, and was incredibly moist.

Name:	IMG_20170219_171055.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	278142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170219_171632.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	278143

Served with some red wine for my wife and a Collective Arts Stranger Than Fiction porter for myself.

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    Son #2 got wind of what was being cooked so he decided to come home for the long weekend. So the cook was postponed until this evening. I'm going with Potkettleblack 's recommendation of 158*x12 hours in the HTTM then on to the smoker.

• hogdog6
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto

• josht138
    replied
    Looking forward to your results.

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    replied
    Thanks so much everyone for the great comments.

First steps complete...ribs picked up from butcher, trimmed and salted. Now they're just chillin' in the fridge waiting to hop in the HTTM in the morning.

Name:	IMG_7319.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	277663

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here