Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-Vide-Que Technique for Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-Vide-Que Technique for Beef Ribs?

I'm planning on using Sous-Vide-Que (as an old military guy everything important has to have an acronym so should it be SVQ or SV-Q?) to cook beef ribs (aka-short plate/short ribs). I've searched around and haven't found a consistent recommendation for using the SV-Q method on beef ribs. So time to call on The Pit team.

I'm dry brining the ribs before putting them in the SV and chilling them in an ice bath/refrigerator when they come out of the SV.

So...
    1) What temp to use in the SV? I'm looking for more of a brisket texture than a braised/fall of the bone texture (aka Texas-Style Dino Ribs).
    2) How long in the Hot Tub Time Machine (back on the acronym train, should this be HTTM?) using the temp from question 1?
    3) After fully chilling the ribs and covering them with rub, should 225 be the smoker temp to finish the ribs? Is a higher temp better since the ribs have been SV'd and all you're looking to do is put smoke and a bark on the ribs while bringing them up to temp?
    4) What internal temp do you pull the ribs off before wrapping in butcher paper and heading to the faux cambro?
    5) How long do they hang out in the faux cambro?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

I think Potkettleblack & Breadhead are the two most active sous vide beef rib masters here. Hopefully they will log in and offer advise.

In the mean time, there is some good info near the end of this thread:http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...-vacuum-sealer

You may want to search through some of their post also, just in case they aren't online for a while.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely good tidbits in there TheCountofQ . Thanks! BTW, how do you like your VM? I'm starting to save my pennies for a VM215. It'll be a long wait at what they cost.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I like it a lot!! Well built and does what it says it will. I really like the pulse button, so as not to crush items and more control not to suck juices up in the unit.. So far have only used it on a steak and a few bags of veggies. It is not a chamber vac. Is the 215 chamber?? This VM does have a little trough under the lid, to catch juices before getting sucked up internally. I am trying not to test that feature out though. Not sure if that is a common feature on other brands or models.

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      TheCountofQ that sounds like a nice unit. The VM215 is a chamber unit. We want to upgrade over the FoodSaver versions we've had over the past 10-12 years. We vac seal a bunch and that was before we were bitten by the sous vide bug.

Here are some notes I've taken, including recommendations from Breadhead, and likely Pottkettleblack - to hold you until the masters show up. As you can see there are different preferences:

=== Beef short ribs

I didn’t give up and did a final try: 48 hours at 57C/135F. Wow! Amazing taste, very juicy and tender. I now completely understand all the raves on eGullet! And now that I have read some more on the forum, I’ve noticed that 48 hours at 57C/135F is also what is recommended there most often. So perhaps I should have started with that in the first place. Oh well…

Now how about some smoke, says Ed?

From the brisket recipe above, 24 -36 hours at 135, cool, then smoke a couple / three hours to intended bark at 275-300 (this is likely from Pottkettleblack).

---
    Breadhead says:

I would recommend dry brining them overnight in your SV bag in the fridge. Then the next day SV them to 170° for 6 or 8 hours. Cold shock them in ice water (in the bag) and put them in the fridge. Then that day or the next day take them out of the bag, blot them dry, put on some beef love or canola oil and apply your rub. Put them in your smoker at 225° and cook them until you get a good bark, about 5 hours roughly. Test them with your temp probe. When they're soft like buttah, about 195°/200°, they're done.

Taking them to 170° in the hot tub leaves you 25° to 30° additional cooking time in the smoker to add the smoke flavor and enough time to build the crust.

Breadhead revised:

165 for 72 hours, ice and fridge overnight, followed by ~5 hours on the smoker. The SV time in this one makes the texture like braised meat.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF ! I'd seen some of these, but not all of them. Time to head to the butcher.

"ABCBBQ Dave" recommends smoking short ribs up to 'good bark', which is past the stall, usually anywhere from 170 to 180. Then vac seal & SV @195 for 4hrs. He made pastrami with his, but regardless of curing & rub the same would work well. I don't know about a texture rating since I haven't done this myself.

Comment

Posted this in another thread, but I just put 3 chuck ribs into the SV bath at 158. Plan is to take them out after around 24 hours tomorrow. I'm still sort of undecided about how to finish them, currently deciding between:

-Ice bath --> PBC to 195
    -Just sear on the Grill Grates on my gasser with some wood chips underneath and sear them before serving.

I picked the temp based on this article, mentioned above, which is great, with videos showing the different textures. I wish I had thought of this earlier and could do the 144 degree/72 hour one, but just don't have that time so I figured upping the temp would still give me some good collagen meltage.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

I wish I had thought of this earlier and could do the 144 degree/72 hour one, but just don't have that time so I figured upping the temp would still give me some good collagen meltage. For the recipe I'm using the one on the Anova site for beer-braised short ribs: http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/rec...sed-short-ribs

Substituted a double-chocolate stout for the smoked beer since I couldn't find any smoked ales or porters at the last minute.

Comment

If you want a traditional texture, I think I would opt for something like 158*x12 hours. As temp goes up, connective tissue takes less time to break down. If chilling, I would shock and chill, then smoke until the bark was where I wanted it. I might just not shock and take it directly to the smoker and smoke for 3 hours, or until the bark was where I wanted it. Basically how ChefSteps has done it.

How I would do it is a 48-72 hour sous vide at 133*, shock, then smoke until bark formation. Probably 3 hours. I try to do novel things or convenient things with the souser. The texture on a 133x72 short rib is something unachievable by other methods. Adding bark to that, win-win. I'd smoke at a higher temp than 225, to minimize overcooking of the interior.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for the great comments.

First steps complete...ribs picked up from butcher, trimmed and salted. Now they're just chillin' in the fridge waiting to hop in the HTTM in the morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7319.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	277663

Comment

Looking forward to your results.

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Son #2 got wind of what was being cooked so he decided to come home for the long weekend. So the cook was postponed until this evening. I'm going with Potkettleblack 's recommendation of 158*x12 hours in the HTTM then on to the smoker.

Here's my results with 158 x 26 hours then just searing on the gasser (I had to shovel snow out of the way from my grill and really didn't feel up to firing up the smoker, plus by the time our company left this afternoon I was running out of time):

Coming out of the water bath, one of them immediately fell off the bone, and the other two peeled off pretty easily. The rest of the bag (including the bones) went into a sauce pot to reduce into a delicious onion-y sauce.

Name:	IMG_20170219_164951.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	278140

I salted and peppered the outside then threw them on the GG with some cherry wood. This was my first time using the GG and I put too much wood in the grooves, so it started to flame up a bit, but I moved the ribs off that area right after this picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170219_170530.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	278141

The texture was marvelous. The combo of the searing and likely a bit of the fire from the wood made for a pretty decent crust (nowhere near what I'd get smoking it, but still), and the meat was very tender and pulled with little effort, and was incredibly moist.

Name:	IMG_20170219_171055.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	278142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170219_171632.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	278143

Served with some red wine for my wife and a Collective Arts Stranger Than Fiction porter for myself.

Comment

Also, T-bone, very much looking forward to how that beautiful piece of meat you're doing on the smoker turns out.

Comment

Thanks to the great advice from The Pit, the SV-Q'd Beef Short Ribs were amazing. Juicy, super tender, but with great texture. Here's the photo timeline...

Dry brined, vacu-sealed ribs hanging out in the 160* HTTM for 12 hours

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	278823

Ribs given a liberal dose of rub and letting the magic happen in the smoker with mesquite and cherry wood

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	278824

After 3 hours on the smoker, wrapped in butcher paper and cambro'd for 30-45min.

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 3.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	278825Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 4.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	278826

Best President's Day lunch ever

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 5.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	278827

Even the pooch got her share

Name:	Beef_Ribs - 6.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	278828

Thanks again for all the help and great advice. The whole family agreed this was a home run.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That is a great cook. I'm going to have to try that technique next time.

So you did not drop them in an ice bath before smoking?

And did you take them to a certain temp on the smoker or just 3 hours to bark them up?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn't really shock here, but might shock and fridge for smoke adherence. But right out of HTTM for service is okay since you're going for something more like smoked texture.

• T-bone
                    T-bone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I followed Potkettleblack 's advice and did not shock/chill them. It worked great without chilling and they had great smoke flavor. I smoked at 250* just for the bark.

Looks delicious, thanks for the post.

Comment

Great work! Sous-Que FTW!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here