Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts

The wife comes home a couple of days ago with four boneless/skinless chicken breasts from Albertsons. They were on sale for $1.27/lb, so she violated the unwritten rule that I buy all the meat. They were fresh, but varied in weight by as much as half-a-pound. When I asked her why she didn't get all about the same size/weight, she replied, "I just thought the butcher would know to do that." Wrong!

Anyway, I normally cook B/S chicken breasts by seasoning/searing in a ribbed cast iron skillet and throwing the skillet in the oven until they all (same size, duh) come up to temp... done! Since these varied greatly in thickness and weight, I didn't want to be watching the thinner one to pull it out, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sous Vide to the rescue.

I put each in a bag with a sprig of Rosemary, 3/4 Tblsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	READY FOR SOUS VIDE.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	276369

Into the SV @146 degrees for two hours. (146 deg gives the degree of doneness that she likes, and the extra hour was just to ensure all were tender.)

Name:	IN COOKER.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	276370

Name:	STEAMY TOP.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	276371

I threw them in an ice bath for ten minutes so they wouldn't cook any more when searing. Then outta the bags; a heavy dose of blackened seasoning; and on the gasser with Grill Grates for finish.

Name:	AFTER GRILL GRATES.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	276372

I cut the thinnest one just to check. It was tender and juicier than shows in this picture...

Name:	THINNEST ONE CUT OPEN.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	276373

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Looks good! What blackening seasoning do you use? How do you get your captions on the photos like that? What sous vide machine do you use?

Comment

Thunder77, I use this stuff all the time...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Blackened Seasoning.jpg Views:	1 Size:	393.1 KB ID:	276394
      My hobby is taking pictures of the sun, so I have PhotoShop for processing them. I just stick the iPhone pic in there and add the caption.

I have the Anova 900 Watt model with WIFI. I don't use the WIFI, but the non-WIFI model is only 800 Watts.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info!

• Notavegan
        Notavegan commented
        Editing a comment
        As of to-day, I am new owner of cast iron griddle. Long list of items I want to blacken...

Beautiful!

Comment

I think SV is just about the only way to get juicy breasts. Rotisserie works too, but then you have the whole bird.

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          I must concur. Chicken breasts were hit or miss, now they're always a hit. Love the Anovo and searching for a second 1st gen.

Lowjiber Where did you get the cooking tub?

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes - good question. I have a really high volume pot but a tub with a lid would be ideal. Lowjiber, did you create the cut-out in it or was it designed that way?

Looks great. I can't imagine eating chicken breasts any other way now...

Comment

tbob4 and Northside Brian, here's what I did...

Buy this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8JOUC/?tag=amazi0a8-20) and buy this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VAUFD6/?tag=amazi0a8-20). Take a sharpie and draw an outline of your circulator in the lid and cut a hole out. Don't pay $50-$100 for one that someone has pre-cut for you. I really don't think it needs to be gasketing or leak tight. I've done several 24 to 36 hr cooks without problems from evaporative losses.

I only use this setup for long cooks 8+ hours. Anything less than that I don't really worry about a cover as long as the temp is below 155F. Most everything else I just use a pot and for big cooks I use a cooler. If it gets above 155F I will just cover it with saran wrap to prevent evaporative losses and prevent evaporative cooling to insulate the water.
          Last edited by fuzzydaddy; February 16, 2017, 11:56 AM. Reason: Added AR code to Amazon links

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the links! I have that tub. I have a couple of pieces of thin plastic I notched with scissors that I lay on top and add a little plastic wrap around the Anova or Joule.

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the same thing (so I could re-claim my pressure cooker pot!). Got them from the local restaurant supply place - got two lids, one I cut and one I didn't so I could store the Anovo, mat, etc. when not in use. Haven't had it "not in use" enough to pack everything in it.

Originally posted by Northside Brian View Post
          Lowjiber Where did you get the cooking tub?
          I ordered it from Amazon. Here's the brand/part number...

Name:	TUB DATA.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	276491

The lid is sold separately because they are cut out for your particular brand of cooker. Here's my data for the Anova...

Name:	TUB LID FOR ANOVA COOKER.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	276492

Comment

Great cook! Beautifully finished! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here