Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast: Sous Vide + Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast: Sous Vide + Smoke

2.73 pound chuck roast that ranged from 1.5" to 2" thick. I trimmed off some of the fat on the top-left.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	266225

Dry brined with kosher salt and into the tub in a ziplock bag at 140 for 26 hours. My plan was 24 but I was running late. I increased the water to 11 quarts after this photo and added some plastic wrap around the Joule. Around a cup of water evaporated in 26 hours.

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	266228

I weighed the juices (subtracting the ziplock bag weight) and I had 9-7/8 ounces of juice. I put the chuck in the freezer for about an hour for a quick cool down, then to the refrigerator overnight. This photo is from the next morning before adding the rub.

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	266227

BBBR added with a little kosher salt on top.

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	266229

On the 22" Weber Kettle. I used 2 small chunks of cherry. Temps ran around 240.

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	266226

Bark was to my liking at 3.5 hours. Meat was 180.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1052 6.05.18 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.18 MB ID:	266258

The pulled beef was very good but not as tender as I like, but for this "test" I'm pleased. When I do another chuck like this I'll try 48 hours SV and/or a higher temp. I'd give this cook a 10 for time spent and a 8 for results.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1069 6.05.18 PM.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	266260

I was also cooking a chuck on my BGE at the same time which I wrapped at 180 to save juices, then took to ~208 and let it stay there for about an hour. This picture was before wrapping. I'd give this cook a 9 as the pulled beef (no photo of it pulled) had the tenderness the SV cook above was missing and the taste was what I'm used to on a full un-wrapped, non-SV cook on my kettle.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1062 6.05.18 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	266259
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; January 21, 2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

fuzzydaddy - the photos in the second post showed up as question marks. Sometimes, I can see them by hitting the question mark. This time, no such luck.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for letting me know. They were showing on my laptop and phone. Are they ok now?

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy - yes they are. Despite your description of the outcome (8 out of 10), they are mighty fine photos - 9.95 out of 10. Photographically, your beans were a 10! It was the colors that gave it the 10.

The photo of the pulled beef with the fruit in the background is killer!

Have you tried smoking to bark first, then sous vide at a higher temp in place of the cambro hold?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I have not (yet) smoked to bark, then SV at a higher temp.

I'd go longer rather than hotter. Try 36-48h.

I'd also go a bit lower than 140, for gentler cooking.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your advice!

Looks beautiful

Comment

Sometime try 130 degrees for 48 hours followed by a quick sear. It's not pulled beef, but will mimic a nice thick medium rare ribeye!

Comment

What do you do with the oz of SV juice? Pour it over the pulled meat? Throw it out?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            If he's on his game, he's processing it like the sticky thread in the SV section suggests then adding it back or making a sauce.

fuzzydaddy, Dat's some good Look'n Roasts Dere! I don't PARLEEE VOOO SOUIX VEEE DOOO yet so my Joule (came before Thanks Giving) hasn't been out of the Box, Yet? Post some more Pic's like that and I might have to try it out?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here