Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank Steak: Sear + Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flank Steak: Sear + Sous Vide

I love flank steak and would like it to be a bit more tender, so I seared some like I normally do over ripping hot KBB in my Slow 'N Sear, flipping/moving around often. Then I used my Joule at 135 for 6 hours. The taste and tenderness were spot on for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0559.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	264751

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0560.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	264750

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0561.PNG Views:	2 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	264748

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0570.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	264749

Beautiful!

Comment

Awesome. Giving me some crazy ideas to incorporate my stuffed flank steak with BBQ and SV. It was a baked dish until now.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Stuffed sounds good. Looking forward to your recipe!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flank Steak Recipe.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	264850
      fuzzydaddy - Forgive the stains on the page - it's obviously been made a lot over the years. Recipe is from the California Treasures, Junior League of Fresno cookbook. It is delicious. I am going to try and figure a way to stuff it, grill it, then SV it - cooking the sauce to the side.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We're waiting!

That is where sous vide shines for me. I have no use for ribeye or salmon, but stuff that could use some extra tenderness so you don't have to slice razor thin.

Comment

I never would have thought to do flank steak for that long. I would have just seared it and then sous vide until the meat hit 135. Great idea!

Comment

So wait....you seared first then SV'd? Would you care to explain why you went that route instead of doing the SV first the searing? Thanks FD! Great looking cook, Brother!
          Last edited by Spinaker; January 30, 2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

That looks amazing. Taste probably didn't suck either.

Comment

Spinaker thanks for asking! This was my first time combining sear and SV and I decided to SV for tenderness after the sear as a test. My concern was how the surface would turn out and honestly I didn't like the look of the surface after the SV, but the taste was very good. If you look at my photos above you'll see the differences in the surface (on the Kettle vs sliced after SV). For my next flank steak I plan on doing SV, chill, then sear and maybe a side-by-side comparison. I think that searing last will be a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
                Spinaker thanks for asking!
                When you shock, how exactly does that work? And to what temp do you 'shock' too? Thanks for your help! I am still trying to ease through this whole SV thing!

Comment

Spinaker 1/2 ice and 1/2 cold water to quickly get to a safe temp - at least 38. Here's a couple of articles by Clint Cantwell where he discusses this, in case you've not seen them.
                  Sous-Vide-Que Ribeye Steak
                  The Big Chill: A Trick For Making The Perfect Sous Vide Steak

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank You sir!!

Spinaker before I run to the airport to pick up family, here's an article where Meathead has a chart on pathogens. It's just below "Why such an odd number as 131°F?" My minimum SV temp is now 131.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gotcha!! Thanks!

Spinaker, Douglas Baldwin talks about the chill, too in this thread https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-of-cook/page2

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just read them!! Thanks for the link!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here