Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Like ChefSteps But....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh also...if there is a will, then by golly, there is always a way

Comment

LlI'm just an ordinary guy cooking at home and also I am a premium member of Shefsteps and I love Seriouseats as well. Yes they use equipment most people don't have but I have invested in some of the equipment. I must say that the recipes I replicated from those sites opened my eyes to culinary gems I would not normally experience. For You guys in USA it is not that hard to get the ingredients ( Modernist pantry - Amazon etc ) Here in Australia it's a bit harder but I managed. I now have sodium hexametaphosphate - sodium citrate - citric acid - msg (monosodium glutamate) transglutaminase - ascorbic acid - soy lecithin - sorbitol powder - xanthan gum - grains of paradise etc etc .,..,... Yes I can go to my supermarket and buy processed kraft cheese but it is more fun to make it myself and flavor it any way I like. As much as I love Amazing ribs and BBQ I also love modernist cooking techniques - variety is the spice of life they say - all I have to say is don't be intimidated and give it a go - also a lot of their recipes do not require special equipment and are still really good.....I just got delivered a book today - Heston Blumenthal's The big fat duck Cookbook! Can't wait to read it will be awesome.....ultimate modernist cooking!!! Next book I'm ordering is Meathead's book - I just love cookbooks......
      L
      Last edited by Steve Vojtek; January 20, 2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear from you, Steve!

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to be back Huskee. Sorry for my absence been really busy. Still addicted to Amazing ribs!!! LOL......

Sussing out some supplies I find to be half the fun. I've noticed that where an ingredient is part of an "ethnic" diet, it is far cheaper at an ethnic market than at the local supermarket. Citric acid is used in home brewing/wine making and is cheaper at one of those supply places than the Ball Citric Acid in the canning aisle. It's also known as "sour salt" in the Indian markets.

Comment

I am just getting into sous vide cooking so I go to their website mainly for finding out what temp I should cook a certain meat at. Honestly I have not noticed any of the specialized cooking tools other than Joule which is the machine that I bought just because of the higher output. I don't really like the fact that I have to use an app to operate it with but I gave into that so I could get a superior unit. If I had 2 to 3 times the price of that unit to spend I probably would have gone with a self contained sous vide cooker like the Sous Vide Supreme. I guess you take what you need from any given website and put it to use in your situation and with what you have to work with.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          As an owner of both the SVS Demi and the Joule, I am not using my SVS Demi as much anymore. Joule is easier to use, easier to store and more flexible.

The funny thing is you can trace American "modern" cuisine, through all this. Listen to Dave Arnold's cooking issues radio show; follow the evolution of low temp cooking with immersion circulators, which cost $2,000 at the time. In the background is this book, "modernist cuisine." Many people call in with BBQ questions, roto vaps, pressure cookers, centrifuges... Over the years the cost of sous vide goes down. Chris Young announces his next project, "chefsteps." Kenji takes stage... home cooking nears perfection... Amazingribs popularity skyrockets... Meathead writes his book... He and Dr blonder are interviewed on cooking issues... in the mix The Pit is formed... American cuisine starts to take center stage, (other people want to know how to bbq, realizing however they had cooked their meat before we had a better way) People in The Pit notice the spotlight and lead the way, creating new food for tastier future...SnS, PBC, ceramic cooking, Breadhead, the moderators, cast iron, SV, Potkettleblack, spice rubs, conquering the stall, smelling like smoke, doing it all for fun...trying anything for the love... haha...

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hell This was worth coming back for! Great post man!

js00 on Instagram

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome man!!!
          Just quietly it's called evolution. People are never happy with the same old same old.......

YEAH! When I cook something with my Lang I smell like smoke and you know what it smells..........GOOD! And the sense of accomplishment really feals good.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen...

whats a lang?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          It's an oversized SV machine

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          You so funny DW!

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
        whats a lang?
        Welcome home, Jon...

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          he's a lurker now LOL

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here