Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide: Rib Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide: Rib Eye

Hey all. My Joule just arrived today. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about what I should do for a 1-inch ribeye. I was thinking of putting butter, garlic and rosemary in the bag and seal it up.

Question 1) Should I put the ingredients in the bag and let it sit for a day, then SV it tomorrow? Or can I just put he fixings in the bag with the steak and cook it right away.

Question 2) If I am shooting for 130 F finished temp, after the sear, what temp do I set the SV too?

Question 3) How long is too long in the bath. I know that the proteins can de nature after a certain amount of time in a hot bath. What would that threshold be?

Question 4) What ingredients do you put in the bag, if any, when you do a ribeye?

Thanks!

This is a great recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...red-wine-sauce

Comment

This will answer your time and temp questions: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Their app is really good. Chefs step has a ton of info available. Thanks for the links.

I have looked at all of these from Chef Steps. I just want to see what the pit members had to say from their experiences.

Comment

@Dr. Rok's sites are spot on. I've done a few things from the website and have always been happy. If I were you, for the first one, don't deviate far from what you are used to from a flavor profile. Then you can experiment with the recipes. If you regularly just salt and pepper, do that. What I have found is that the stuff you put on top kind of goes away when you take the steak out. Especially since I will pat dry the steak before searing. So I salt and pepper again before grilling. I also would set the water temp to the temp you like your meat. Since you will be using your nice cast iron skillets, the amount of time you will need to get a good crust will be exceptionally short so you really won't be getting any heat transfer into that steak. Caution - it will be an ugly looking thing when you take it out of the bag. Don't let that fool you. Your set up with the nice cast iron is ideal. I am going to be really interested in your opinion of it with the steak. I've been doing them SV style (finishing on the grill) for much of the year for consistency. I went back to my old "just grilling" style the other day. My son was the judge. Taste = straight grill won. Appearance and uniformity SV + grill won. Nod went to grill due to taste. Don't make up your mind right away. Give it some practice with some of the recipes from @Dr. Rok's link.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot for the input!! Especially about salting and peppering before grilling.

1 - Bag it, soak it, shock it, sear it. Or, in ChefSteps, bag it, soak it a bit cooler than you want the finished product, sear it.
        1a - Don't put raw garlic in the bag. Bottulism risk. Bad mojo. Not so bad on an hour, two hour cook, but I don't do raw garlic in the bag. Also, off flavors.
        1b- rosemary is a plant. Plants don't really cook or release flavor <180*. You don't want to cook your steak that way.
        1c- If you want this garlic rosemary flavor combo, sous vide it naked, and then when you sear, heat up some butter, throw the garlic and rosemary in the butter while it's heating, drop the steak in, and baste with the liquid.
        2- If you want 130, there are two ways to go. Soak at 129, shock it cold, then sear. Or soak at 127, and sear right out of the bag.
        3- If you are doing a 1" ribeye, it's already tender. 1-2 hours should be sufficient. 8 hours will not be a problem. I know people who think 24h is the way to do ribeye. I don't want to go there, but beyond 24, mushy.
        4- I might salt it before bagging, if I have half an hour to dry brine it. Otherwise, probably naked.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          SV is an extractive cooking method. Water comes out of the steak and does not condense the way it would cooked by evaporative dry cooking, like grilling. As a result, surface treatments tend to flavor the purge in the bag, not the meat.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          What to do: dry brine for real, with an hour or more, before cooking via sous vide. use 50% of the salt you normally would. This produces about what you're looking for in terms of seasoning.

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir for the tips. Much appreciated.

I've had pretty good luck just following the temperature and steps included with Joule. 1 1/2" ribeyes from Costco that are frozen. Obviously being frozen doesn't lend itself to their instructions for the pre-sear, but I do find that the time/temperature settings yield a perfectly cooked tender steak after which it gets a little trip to the cast iron skillet.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect, I am planning on using a cast iron skillet for the sear. do you pat your dry before searing? smokinsteve

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Pat dry.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          If you don't pat dry, the moisture takes a lot of energy to sizzle off, which means you're not browning. Instead you just cook the steak more than you wanted.

I do 128°F for about two hours (my steaks are closer to 1 1/2 -inch thick--Costco), then slap that puppy on screaming hot GrillGrates--flat side--for about 30-45 seconds per side (cast iron would work fine). I usually do no more than S&P. typically do ribeyes and, for the lady, tenderloin. GREAT STUFF!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Willy. I wish my new GG's were here. Not till tomorrow. Thanks for your input!!!!

Remember the photo I sent you...

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha yes yes I do. LoL

I've yet to make a SV steak I preferred to just grilling all the way. Keep us posted!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Just try it. all ya gotta do. I too love grilling all way. but this is just another way to prepare a steak. Thats all for me.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        Hey all. My Joule just arrived today. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about what I should do for a 1-inch ribeye. I was thinking of putting butter, garlic and rosemary in the bag and seal it up.

Question 1) Should I put the stuff in the bag and let it sit for a day, then SV it tomorrow. Or can I just put he fixing in the bag with the steak and cook it right away.
        Do it now - you know you want to.

Question 2) If i am shooting for 130 F finished temp, after the sear, what temp do I set the SV too?
        Go 125 for a couple of hours, assuming it's not frozen

Question 3) How long is too long in the bath. I know that the proteins can de nature after a certain amount of time in a hot bath. What would that threshold be?
        2 hours should be plenty, unfrozen

Question 4) What ingredients do you put in the bag, if any, when do a ribeye?
        Whatever you like, Boss!

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          I've yet to make a SV steak I preferred to just grilling all the way. Keep us posted!
          I prefer grilling, too. For me it simply comes down to the method that requires the least monitoring for now. SV from frozen hasn't yielded the flavor profile I like best. Definitely will grill if the meat is fresh. I have been pleased with chicken. It is merely a matter of convenience for me and keeping down the number of trips to Costco.

Comment

I have incredible results dropping the cold steak into 400 degree oil for about ten seconds. Placing it on to a cold plate from the freezer. Bag in a Ziploc with salt. Water bath for an hour. Back on the plate into the freezer for a few minutes. Then into the oil at 400 for another quick fry, maybe 15-20 seconds. I get a thick, thick, crust that doesn't soften. Ridiculously good. I have a little lodge cast iron pot for frying, it barely drops to temperature when you add a steak. A little finishing salt and whatever sauce. The pre searing step works but you need to be sure you aren't trying to sear like you want at the end. It should look wimpy at first and will soften. But the final sear will happen much faster than if you were only searing at the end.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're kind of giving me a crazy good idea. I'm a hold out on the pre-sear. I pre and post sear a steak on the grill. Thanks.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              This sounds amazing. I must have misses this back in January. Thanks for the info!

45 day homee dry age strip steak. 129x3. Seared with 50-50 tallow butter. Falk salt. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3498.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.50 MB ID:	262376Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3499.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	262377
            Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 11, 2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

we will SV 1" fillet at 129F for about an hour then into a hot pan. Au poivre is good - crust the meat with crushed black pepper (we like Malibar) and into the bag. Otherwise we will just lightly salt and white pepper.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here