Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off the Schneid w Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the Schneid w Sous Vide

I got an Anova for Christmas. It's funny, I put it on the list but now that I have it I was thinking, "what do I do now?" I decided I'd make my first foray today with some tuna. It was fun. It tasted good - but then, how can you go wrong with basically raw tuna? I guess I'm a little bemused, and not sure what the hubbub is about. I mean, I think I could have just seared the tuna in the pan and gotten the same result, skipping the whole hot tub. I guess, according to Kenji - I followed the recipe from seriouseats - bathing it at 105 for 45 mins firms up the meat...? I think I'll appreciate this better with other fish that really needs cooking.

​ ​ ​ ​

Fish isn't the best. We've only done shrimp. Pork and chicken are really good, you can get it cooked through without it turning to yuk (and still be a little pink).

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I've got to play around with it

JCBBQ I respectfully disagree about fish. I use Copper River Salmon exclusively, dry brine IAW recipe from Meathead, then cook for 40 minutes at 135. Actually its ready at 20 min. but I often wind up piddling around so 40 minutes is about right for me. The only seasoning I use is a fresh sprig of rosemary and I don't even sear after sv and it still turns out great. I've also used this technique on other fish types as well as it does work equally as well. Your last line is germane "I've got to play around with it".

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      freddh, I think that fish should be great. I was just saying that since my tuna was essentially raw, it probably wasn't the best test of the apparatus. I'm looking forward to trying some other types.

• Zman23
      Zman23 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree on salmon. I love it cooked sous vide. I go 125 though.

The photos did not show.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I only posted 4 pics but in my view it looks like there are supposed to be eight. Did you see any of them?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      None of them

I just bought a Joule so I'm very curious to see how I like it. Thanks for posting. Good to get some feed back. I am going to be new to this one.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - did the photos show on your browser? None showed on mine.

@JCBBQ You're correct about the tuna-in this household we eat it raw with soy sauce/vinegar. So I didn't really think about sv. Sv is just another tool on your tool belt, you'll find some interesting recipes on the Anova, Chefsteps, Kenji and Sous Vide Supreme websites. Some work better than others, its all about experimentation. And no @Spinaker I haven't shut the door on all the other tools. In fact since I've gotten my PBC I haven't cranked up the BGE in months and use the Weber and SNS sporadically. Its all about being a "work in progress" and I've learned so much from this site. And@Zman23 125 is the recommended temp via Anova which I tried and didn't like-probably because I wet brined. Now that I dry brine I'll give 125 a shot.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out those sites.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here