Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

joule/sous vide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joule/sous vide question

So hopefully not sounding dumb but lets say I put a prime rid in this for whatever the approximate amount of time take it out and sear it, what does the actual meat look like is it a nice rosy pink or something else. Next question how many say ribeye steaks can I do at one time is it due to my container size or the limit to the device, I need a way to do bigger cooks than what my kamado will do if this will handle the job other than the searing part it beats shelling out 1200 to 1600 for another grill. Thanks for any and all info

How cooked it is depends on the temperature you set. So if you want rosy pink, that's where you set it. The beauty is that you can't over cook it. You can do a lot at a time and it mostly depends on your container size, but if it gets too big, the heater may not be able to keep up. Chef steps says joule can handle up to 40 gallons of water. That's a lot!

Comment

Rosy pink on the inside. The outside might look a little light brown, but the inside is perfectly pink (to your preferred doneness). Just sear it on the outside. Once you cut into it, it'll be perfect. Can't overcook it!

Comment

You can go too long with SV. It's not burned, per se, but the proteins have denatured to a point that is unpleasantly mushy.

Here's someone else's professionally photographed sous vide prime rib.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	SV-Prime-Rib-UQ9A0299.jpg Views:	1 Size:	218.2 KB ID:	259282

It's all in the time, the temperature and what else you do to process it.
      Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 4, 2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Potkettleblack's picture shows what your final prime rib will look like. The picture shows one that appears to have been coated with an herb crust. You have to sear your roast after cooking it in the hot tub. The number of ribeye steaks you can cook will depend on the size of your water container and the rating of the circulator you purchase. The anova will handle up to 5 gallons. That's a pretty good sized container that will hold a butt load of steaks.

Comment

You shouldn't load your tub with more meat than water. 50-50 is about the peak for proper circulation.

So, 10 gallon container, 5 gallons of water, add meat. If you want to go larger, either Joule or two Anovas.

Comment

We have one of each, Joule and Anova. Haven't tried the Joule yet. Thinking on a dinner party, find out how everyone wants their steaks done. Cook to temperature the night before. For the dinner, re-heat the steaks together to 130 (since they're already cooked) then sear. Everyone will have steaks done to their liking and they'll come off the grill close together.

Comment

mgaretz not sure why, but the link you posted doesn't work for me? Is this an older webpage?

Here's where I found that the limit for Joule was 10 gallons in an insulated container and about 5 gallons in a standard container: https://support.chefsteps.com/hc/en-...s-too-crowded-

Comment

• customtrim
                customtrim commented
                Editing a comment
                i saw this on there site
                But Joule can go big too. The littlest sous vide tool can handle up to 40 gallons (150 liters) of water, with a depth of up to 8 inches (200 mm).

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                You are right, the "official" specs page says 10 gallons. The page I found is still there and clearly it says something different than the specs page. Click the Sous Vide link, then All About Sous Vide then scroll all the way to the bottom left and click What Containers Should You Use...

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that's impressive that it'll do 40 gallons. Makes Joule even more desirable. Damn you chef steps. Now to figure a way to convince TDW that I need two circulators.

I have used my anova to cook 2 pork butts in a 50 quart cooler @165F. Because I didn't want to cut a hole in the top I covered the top with foil and beach towels to prevent evaporation and also to insulate. The joule has a larger heater than the anova so I would say that the better the insulation the bigger you could go.

As a caution, I did test my setup first before I put the pork in and it took quite a while for it to get up to temp. Also one of the bags broke during the overnight cook so make sure you have a place to dump 50 qts of pork water if necessary.

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here