Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Rib Beef Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Rib Beef Wellington

As folks around here who have paid attention to my posting may have figured, I'm in love with SV short ribs.

Having seen even a couple beef wellingtons around, and only cooking for me and the wife, I decided to combine the two. I made some compromises due to poor planning, and this still came out fantastic.

First, I needed a basic technique. My original plan was to make some mushrooms duxelles or a mushroom "marmalade", spread it on a pie crust, roll a seared 72 hour short rib, and bake.

No. Well, maybe. But consult the various folks on the interweb. kenji to the rescue.

thanks Kenji. Duxelles, on lock. I'm skipping the foie / pâté question because a short rib is not a tenderloin and does not need that help. The plan was to do individuals. I messed that up, so I doubled up the short ribs and made one big one.

I probed both ends with the iGrill, and let it go to 120, and coast to 125-130.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3466.JPG
Views:	944
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	257906
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3470.JPG
Views:	1625
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	257908

Attached Files

I'd rate this execution about an 8 or 9 out of ten.

Individual packets is the way to go. Probably half a boneless short rib per packet. I would have defrosted my filo earlier which would make using it better. I would have salted the pastry before baking with some big falk salt.

I used scotch for the deglaze of the mushroom pan. I used 50-50 butter and tallow for the mushroom cook.

This was an off the chart flavor experience. With better planning, tighter construction, would have been closer to a ten.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Very Nice!! Did one recently but meat cooked before the pastry dough did. I had to scrape off the dough and bake separately. Served along side the beef with the duxelles. Was tasty but presentation was lacking.

Yours is beautiful.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Troy; I went beyond shocking and took them down to fridge temp. Then went with iGrill for temp control.

Thanks for sharing it!

So, you skipped the SV step completely, then browned and baked?
    Last edited by EdF; January 1, 2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

No. I did something like 68h x 129F on the short ribs with a teaspoon of worchester sauce in the bag. I have minimal mustard tolerance, so Kenji's mustard-horseradish slather was not happening.

The tip of the short ribs got a bit overcooked, but the middles were perfect. Helped that they were about 45* when they went in the oven.
      Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 1, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm relieved I didn't have to ask whether the ribs were tough. Nice adaptation!

That is an awesome idea! Everyone take note we saw it here first...

Comment

That looks simply SPECTACULAR!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here