Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide corned beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide corned beef

I am eager to cook corned beef this weekend using the sous vide technique to which I am a newbie. I have two questions:
    1) What temperature and for how long? I have read references suggesting 10 hours @ 180 to 48 hours @140;
    2) Sear at the end?

Welcome jnelsonmdla

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

When in doubt, us the longer, lower temperature in sous vide if you want something unlike what you've had before, and the hotter shorter temperature if you want to replicate braising or traditional textures.

Comment

• jnelsonmdla
          jnelsonmdla commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Potkettleblack. What about searing? Do you suggest? And when you write "something unlike what you've had before", is that a good thing?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          On cuts with a lot of connective tissue (brisket, shoulder, short ribs), transformative is good. On cuts that are already tender (ribeye, strip steak, pork loin, pork tenderloin), transformative is generally mushy, not a winner. But you don't see very many folks advocating 24h+ for ribeye.

• jnelsonmdla
          jnelsonmdla commented
          Editing a comment
          OK, Potkettleblack, I am going for 48 hours at 140 degrees. Not yet determined if I will sear at the end.
          BTW, I did a strip steak yesterday for 2 hours at 139 degrees. Perfect medium rare with desired tender consistency.

Advice from a mistake I made. I couldn't find a brisket so I bought a corned beef and smoked it. Terrible because I did not rinse the salt off prior to smoking. So if you are buying a prepped corned beef with the seasoning packed off to the side, I suggest soaking it in water in the fridge for awhile and then pat it dry before applying the seasoning and vacuum packing it.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Got the T-shirt, Man!

This may be of interest to you: http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/i...ef-and-cabbage

Comment

• jnelsonmdla
          jnelsonmdla commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Dr ROK, I liked the site enough to order his (Jason Logsdon) book.

jnelsonmdla Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you.

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore!

Comment

I recently did a corned beef sous vide cook-off SeriousEats 180 for 10 hours vs. Chefsteps 140 for 48 hours. They both came out great, but different from each other.

The 180 degree piece is the top piece in first photo and is the entire second photo. It had a more traditional texture but was more juicy than any corned beef I've ever had.

The 140 degree piece on bottom of 1st photo and the entire third photo. Very juicy, it had a smoother, more "modernist" texture.

Both were great but I liked 180 slightly better and my wife liked 140 slightly better.

BTW, they were both store bought, uncooked but ready brined briskets. Rinse off, pat dry, throw in the bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	257624Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	257622Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	257623

Attached Files

Comment

smiliepolarbear I did mine at 140' for 48 hours. Nothing to compare to as you did, but I and my guests were quite satisfied. Excellent moisture, texture, and taste. Like you, out of the commercial package, into the water bath. I was fascinated by the advice by Potkettleblack in reference to the "purge". I did as he suggested. The coagulum, which developed after "nuking" for 90 seconds, I filtered and added the filtrate to my boiling potatoes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here