Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Eggnog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Eggnog

Looking at Christmas-type recipes I might make sous vide, I came across a couple for sous vide eggnog, like this one from ChefSteps.

Has anyone tried sous vide eggnog? Worth the effort? Thanks.

I'm going to try it next week, for NYD brunch. Wife is not a fan of thick beverages, so it might be a half recipe or less.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Wife said she's completely not interested. Maybe next year.

Seems like a great idea! I've done sous vide crème brulee, and it was fantastic. Also done sous vide poached eggs for a brunch...the eggs remained PERFECT for over three hours! I say go for it!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      cut2cure Though you've been a member for a while we would still love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa Thanks!

• lschweig
      lschweig commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no experience with sous vide, but love poached eggs. I would imagine that the yolks would remain runny?
      Would this method also be good for real holendaise sauce? If so I may be researching this more.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      SV Hollandaise is so easy you will never make it the traditional way again.

I do my custard based ice cream bases with sv. Works very well.

Comment

I tried sous vide egg nog ok Thanksgiving. Instead of jars I just put it in a bag. This was before this recipe came out unfortunately so pieced a few together. I put the mix in a 162 water bath but there was too much mix that it brought the water way down in temperature. The egg nog came out good tasting but it was not thick at all. Not sure if I needed to introduce more air into it before going in the bag or it didn't have long enough at the right temp. Either way, Make sure you use enough liquid in the bath so you don't have the same problem I did.
      ​​​

Comment

I tried the recipe for Christmas Eve and had similar results -- the flavor was good but it was very thin. I used mason jars and had plenty of water. I see several people reporting similar results in the comments on the ChefSteps recipe page. Perhaps not enough eggs? I'd never used so few eggs in eggnog before.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be a winner with the wife if it's thin.

Maybe use whole eggs instead of just yolks?

Comment

A cop out, I know, but the Kirkland brand bottled (alcoholic) egg nog that Costco sells during the holiday season is da bomb. A dollop of whipped cream, a few grates of nutmeg...mmmmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here