Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket

I have a large group to feed and promised them some good brisket. I have had good success with my pellet smoker and whole brisket and following the amazing ribs recipes. I am fortunate to have a son-in-law with a feed lot so when they take an animal to the abattoir I get the briskets. However this last time the butcher separated the point and flat and I tried to smoke a flat and it was two thin and lean and results where not terrific (still good but not great). I now have a sous vide and was thinking that would maybe help with the the flats I have left. Does anyone know if I should smoke for a couple of hours and then put in sous vide for 24 hours or sous vide first and then finish with the smoker. Any help is appreciated.

This link may help and it has links to help: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...er-combination

Comment

Autopac I did a sous vide brisket once, and it was great. I followed the advice from Seriouseats.com.....

Make sure you leave time to refrigerate the brisket over night before smoking the next day, that was key to getting good smoke flavor and ring.....

Have fun!

Comment

Someone, and I forget who, recently did a side-by-side of sous vide first then smoke, and smoke first then sous vide. If I recall correctly, this person stated the smoke first then sous vide brisket won by leaps. FWIW. Personally I don't sous vide so I can't say with any firsthand authority. I just really like side by side comparisons.

Comment

Huskee - I may be the person you speak of, I did a side-by-side comparison for pastrami a while back. I posted the results in a thread somewhere, but I don't remember where. Anyway, here's a screen grab of the processes and summary of results. My opinion is that the smoke-then-sous vide was better due to the very large liquid loss during the sous vide then smoke approach. I have since also found that searing on the gasser as a last stem helps crisp up the bark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami Table.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	248379

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compare Pastrami.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	248380

Autopac - FWIW

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! It was you. Forgot that it was pastrami. Love this post!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            When I've done long-cooking combined SV and smoking, I did it smoke first, not knowing that most people seem to prefer smoke last. It came out really good (I did sear at the end). That was for 4-5 pork butts for a party.

johnec00 - are you willing to say this way works better more generally?

EdF - I would hesitate to say "better more generally". I have made pastrami following a half dozen different recipes over quite a few years. I like the smoke then SV approach that was initially described by David Parrish here. I have generally used brisket rather than boneless short ribs (which seem to be in short supply around here). The only other differences are the inclusion of ground juniper berries to replace some of the pepper in the rub, and (for the last couple of times), crisping the rub/bark in the gasser after completion of the SV step. Personally, I like sous vide better than the steaming method that Meathead recommends on the main site - I've never quite figured out how to steam without washing off too much of the rub - but that's just me. As far as extending this to brisket (not corned), I don't really know. I tried one point and described the result here, it was good, but I wouldn't want to say it was any better than that one HoP would have been "the regular way".

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks johnec00 !

I'm probably getting a SV for Christmas so why do I still view brisket in a water bath as some kind of an abomination? To me there's two meats that are smoker sacred, brisket and ribs. I can see myself using the SV for eggs and other "delicate" foods but a freaking brisket or a rack of ribs? No way. Even if it's just a flat, I just couldn't do it, I'd probably hate myself.

Comment

• Gator Lau
            Gator Lau commented
            Editing a comment
            ..."smoker sacred, brisket and ribs."
            Amen!

ribeyeguy, You are all good with that opinion. Breadhead makes a mean sous vide tri-tip sous. I know this because I followed his directions and got two different reactions from the family - 2 liked the SV version better, 2 (me included) liked smoked and reverse seared better. You WILL love reheating with leftovers SV, though. I will smoke chicken and tri-tip for friends, put in the fridge, vacuum pack and lend out the Anova. Friends secretly re-cook the smoked meat to temp, take it out and put in on the grill as though it was their own. So you won't hate yourself - keep doing what you like and use that thing to enhance or supplement what you are doing. You will appreciate it.

Comment

Maybe my wife will make cookies or something with it. I don't know, I'll give it a fair trial but I have to admit that going in I'm a bit biased against it.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              People were freaked out about the microwave oven at first too...🙀

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
            Maybe my wife will make cookies or something with it. I don't know, I'll give it a fair trial but I have to admit that going in I'm a bit biased against it.
            I have yet to grill a Sous Vide steak I liked better than my front seared or reverse seared steaks done completely on the grill.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you like your SV steaks as much as your grilled steaks? Personally... I find no difference.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the grilled only steaks are better than the water and fire steaks. To me the SV steaks are missing flavor.

For brisket and/or pork butts... usually I smoke them on my large BGE start to finish. However I've also done them In the Sous Vide bath tub when cooking for a big crowd. The idea is that if I cook them past the stall point, like 180°, then put them in the fridge overnight, the next day all I have to do is put on my rub and smoke them enough to get a nice bark on the meat and I'm done. Theres no way to tell that they've been done in the SV bath tub.😋

Comment

Thanks everyone for comments. I have been using Sous Vide a bit more but I have to admit the flavour in the smoker for steaks and chops is better unless your are serving something with a sauce it is hard to beat the smoke. The beauty of the sous vide is the wide window you have to hold your meat. I am planning to smoke some extra meat each time I do something then vacume seal then freeze to reheat with the sous vide. Winter is just over it seems and I had to quit smoking for a few months.

Comment

I just puchased one of these coolers to make a home made Sous Vide container for my briskets https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-cooler-guide/

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is very cool! Bonus: you can use the cooler as a faux cambro as well as a cooker! Just plug the hole in the lid temporarily. :-)

Duct tape

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here