Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a bathtub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a bathtub.

I just got the Anova for 7-8 people. Do I need a smaller tub than you would use for the "bigger" Anova for 8-12 people? What do you kind folks recommend? Grumpy folks feel free to reply as well.

Look in the SV section deeper I'm sure I have a post somewhere in there with pictures. I like to have a lid or at least some type of silicone mat to lay on top of the water to reduce evaporative cooling.

Comment

I don't think you need a smaller tub just because you got the 800W model. You do need a tub that is large enough to prevent overcrowding and therefore poor circulation. Personally, I use a 12 qt. square plastic container and cover it with foil to reduce evaporation. If I need more capacity, there's a 28 qt. cooler nearby (often used as a faux cambro) that I would use in a heartbeat with the circulator. The fact that the cooler is insulated will help maintain temps with a larger volume of water. Bottom line ... as long as the circulator can maintain a steady temperature, you're good to go.

Comment

Thanks guys. Jerod Broussard I saw your post about the rack you got. I may go that route or buy a flat storage bin, or something. MBMorgan some insulation would be a plus as well. Both good plans.

Comment

If you have room to store a couple of different sized tubs it wouldn't hurt to have a couple or three different sizes. But there is nothing wrong with just using the same sized tub for larger meals. Just more water means it will take a bit longer to heat up.

For short cooks of a few hours or so I never bother with a lid. Loss of water due to evaporation in that time frame is very small. For those multi-day cooks though you might want to put a cover or bubble wrap over the container.

Comment

Ok no wonder the Anova I have heats up slower than the joule. I didn't realize the Bluetooth only was less wattage than the Bluetooth/wifi. Good to know it has now been relegated to the the pot and the joule gets the container!

Comment

I have this 5 gallon tub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VARWQ4/?tag=amazi0a8-20

Click image for larger version

Name:	41V3cieUWcL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	245773

Comment

• Michael Brinton
                Michael Brinton commented
                Editing a comment
                A cool trick is to buy a tub similar to this one. Get two lids, one cut out just for the circulator. The second lid cut the same hole and as many deep hotel pan style rectangles you can fit. The second lid, plus the pans, will come in handy as a warming station. Super bowl party just got easier.

When y'all start up the sous vide process, do you add hot water from the tap/bath tub, etc, or do you just let the stick heat 'er all up by itself?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Hot water. Start it up, go finish prepping the food, and it's usually at temp when I get back to it.

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                I use cold tap water cuz if I'm cooking a hunk of meat in the hot tub for a few hours I don't really care if it takes ten more minutes to get the water up to temp.

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                Hot tap and sometimes a splash from the kettle if I'm making coffee.

I use hot tap water when I start. seems to make sense to me.

Comment

This article may be helpful: Sous Vide Containers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here