Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Sous Vide and smoker combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Sous Vide and smoker combination

I am posting under KBQ landed as well. Moderators is this ok?

I need some advice. I am cooking about 80 lbs (5 Briskets) from Snake River Farms for a party Saturday night. I prefer not stay up all night and babysit the KBQ. I am considering:

Smoke 2-3 of the Briskets start to finish on my MAK 2 Star. I will dry brine the night before and use Big Bad Beef Rub. Should I inject? If so low sodium beef broth or Butcher BBQ?

Cook 2-3 with a combination of Sous Vide and the KBQ. KBQ first 4 hours and finish Sous Vide and if so what temperatures? OR Sous Vide and finish on the KBQ? If so what temperatures? When do I bribe? When do I put on Rub?

I am far from the most experienced one here, but it seems to me that time out of the smoker means less bark. The SV is an interesting thought and since my Anova arives this week, I look forward to the responses.

Comment

I recently tried the same process, granted with only 1 brisket. See Link Below
      I did sou vide first and then smoker. If I had to do it over again, I would just smoke the entire time. Although I'm interested in the results from smoking and then sou vide. Good Luck

So on Sunday I have a some great friends coming over to the house. I plan on doing a Brisket(Full packer haven't picked it up yet) Sou Vide and then finish in

My personal advise would be stick to what you know. If you know what your doing just using the KBQ, stick to it. If you want to experiment, do it with some close friends/family and let them know they are your guinea pigs, before you move on to more guests.

Good Luck!!

Comment

Cook them all on the 2 Star, that's a brisket cooking machine! I use my Anova for reheating stuff mainly (and raspberry infused vodka!). I'm not fond of not rendering fat with sous vide meat cooking.

Comment

AZRedneck mhkesler84 CandySueQ Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen!

Would you cook the whole packer? I have always done so in the past. I do like the idea of increased bark and controlling the pull point by cooking separately. Thoughts?

Comment

Separating is nice since you don't have to mess with that post-cook. You also get more surface area for more bark.

Comment

I always separate the point and flat. It's much easier to do before cooking in my opinion, plus each muscle cooks differently. I also remove as much fat as possible. I leave 1/4 to 3/8 inch fat on the bottom of the flat. When you get that big hunk of fat out at the back of the brisket, just start trimming the point off leaving the fat on the flat side.

Another option is to start the cook on the KBQ (MCS kicking in!) to get a nice slam of smoke flavor, then finish on the MAK.

Comment

Jerod Broussard CandySueQ Would you recommend 275 degrees? How much time would that cut of the cook? I've only cooked at 225 and usually 14-17 lb briskets whole packer.

Thanks again for all your input!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've cooked plenty at 250-275. It's all heat.

Jerod Broussard I was more asking approximate time cooking at 275 degrees cooking the flat at point separately. Any ideas?

Comment

dirtman every brisket is a different cook! Even at 275 (and that's a good temperature for SRF), I'd allow 8 hours. You may not need it but it doesn't hurt to rest brisket at all in a warm place. If you split your 5 briskets, you double the "footprint" you'll need in the cooker. Flats will get done first, points have more fat and can take longer to get to the waba waba point. I cook brisket to feel, not to temp or time. When a probe goes in without resistance AND comes out without resistance, it's done. How are you going to serve it at your party? You'll need some time to prepare it for serving as well.

You can dry brine the day before and season. I wouldn't bother with injection -- SRF is a beautiful beef brisket, it doesn't need the chemicals. Hope this helps!

Comment

CandySueQ I'm going to separate flat and point, should I wrap and if so at what temp? Foil or butcher paper? Thanks again!

Comment

At contests, I wrap the flat about 165. Pour about 1/2 cup of warmed beef broth over it, stick a temp probe in the middle of the flat and seal it up tight with foil. I like the results with butcher paper, but there's more control with foil. Butcher paper wrapped with the brisket on a rack in a foil pan (unsealed) will let you catch juices. I've let the point go up to 175 before wrapping. If your doing 5 briskets, you don't have time to baby each one. I'd put all the points in a sealed foil pan to finish (assuming you're going to chunk them for burnt ends or chop the skinny part). Point is very forgiving. Tend the flats.

Comment

I've started doing what I call a hybrid cook. I love the smoke flavor my COS puts out but hate all the work keeping it at temp, I love how set and forget my pellet smoker (which is now broken) and cheap kamado with the IQ110 are but didn't like the amount of smoke the pellet grill imparted. So what I do now is I put them on the COS for 4 hours )hoping to get to the stall to set the bark) then I'll switch over to the chap kamado for the overnight sleeping deal. (gotta love the Maverick Wireless thermometer couldn't do it with out that) Boy have the briskets been coming out GREAT!! I still get to sleep most of the night lol you could finish on the Mak once you wrap (or even in your oven although I believe that most pellet grills keep a better temp than a cycling oven)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here