Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parting shot : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parting shot : )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	236279 .....:

John - I'm taking cover now...

I'm still fightin' this one. One day I think I need to try this, and the next day I'm thinkin' that it just ain't right. After all, how much smoke flavor can the meat get in that bath?

Comment

Don't give in Ron. Don't do it ; )

Comment

I just smoked a chuck roast and then made chili with it. Sous Vide my ##$

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9582.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	236294Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9585.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	236295

Comment

Good for you EP. Stay the course man. Stay the course.

Comment

Smoking and Sous Vide are two different styles. One does not take the place of the other. An example - I have tried the Sous Vide tri-tip based on advice here. I liked it but prefer my smoked tri-tip. Grilled steaks are another matter. I can deliver my family rare, medium rare and medium well a little easier using the sous vide machine and grilling thereafter. It also makes a heck of a tool for reheating and preserving the BBQ goodness of the original cook. Try this - smoke two tri-tips. Eat one on day one. Reheat 1/2 of the other sous vide style and reheat the other in your favorite manner. You will likely find that reheating sous vide style actually preserves the taste of your smoked product.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              You've just tagged WHY I have a sous vide! Easy reheating of leftovers, vacuum sealed after cooking. If you're only cooking for 2 and you're making enough for 4, that's 2 meals made. Oh, and raspberry vodka, that's good stuff.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It's all about the results - you use the tools that get you there. No right or wrong. Taste, texture, etc. And sometimes its just the process of tending the temps, which should not be underrated!

I like the challenge of cooking over fire and smoke. The idea of sous vide really just isn't interesting for me.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen ecowper

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure it turns out some high quality stuff, but it's a little too science lab to suit my style. Cooking is more of an art to me.

Meathead and his friend from Chefsteps calls it "Fire and Water" I am learning when sous vide works better and when it doesn't but I will argue that sometimes using the right tool for the job gets you superior results, whether you agree or not. Sometimes for me it is about time management (which I have to do always at work) so I can get all the things done I need to in the most efficient way possible, I like it.

Comment

It does eleminate the need to taste, smell or feel your cooking. It does make life easy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here