Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide

I've never used the Sous Vide equipment offered today, but I have been warming, and cooking in sealed bags for a long time. Do you have a preferred Sous Vide tool you would recommend?

The Anova is excellent as is (I assume) the Joule.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input! I have no clue about this tool.

I just purchased the Anova and have used it twice. It needs a reasonable deep pot, but it worked for me. I did steaks and then seared in a cast iron pan. The advantage was that while sous viding (is that a word?? LOL) I had time to cut the grass and semi start to prepare for the coming snow. George

Comment

Anova is great

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The Anova Wi-Fi, second generation, seems to top all of the comparison reviews I've seen.

Shane Rakow, Shane, like You I Don't Parly Vou Souix Vee Doo but based on @Meathead's recommendation I have Joule on Order! A KickStarter offer by Chef Steps! So I better get to Studying!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I've used the Anova. It's the schnizzle. You do need to have deeper tub but that's fine with me. Get yourself an appropriately sized Cambro or similar container. The vice holder on the Anova is kind of a pain with any container with a lip. I didn't know that at first and had to make some adjustments with the rotary tool. Same goes for the lid. All seems to be working great now. When doing a 48-72 hour cook, I need to add water. I don't use the ping pong balls but might try. I think they may make a lot of noise though.

As for packaging, I have a FoodSaver. I would not want to use a store bought ziploc. Did that once with a quick reheat and it leaked. Be sure and at least double seal if you use a FoodSaver.

We have semi-hard water here so I give the heating elements a short soak in some diluted vinegar after each use.

Hard/Soft boiled eggs are a treat with sous vide particularly if you like a runny or soft egg. I catch some flack from the wife if there aren't always a few in the fridge!

Comment

I just received my Joule, and I am excited to start marrying the water/fire. I did read a lot of concern on plastic bags. Best resource I found is this article on Nom Nom Paleo. Looks like normal plastic bags are bad, but vacuum seal bags (Foodsaver) are OK. My first attempt will be a basic steak, but I soon plan on a couple more advanced recipes. Hoping to read more about others experiences here.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm jealous I have a Joule on order. They were suppose to be out by Oct but got an e mail it wont be here till late November was wanting to use it at Thanksgiving. Enjoy your new toy!!

I have an Anova Have used it many times. The one thing I have noticed about mine (your millage may vary) is its temp is off by 1.5 degrees. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I do most my cooks at 130 I understand that 129 isn't hot enough to kill everything that needs be killed for long cooks. I checked the temp with no less than 4 other thermometers and all came up with the 1.5 - 2 degrees to cool. No biggie I just add 1.5 so I set mine at 131.5. Hoping the joule will be dead on when I finally get it!! yeah I wont 2 one for meat (usually around 130 degrees) and one for vegetables (somewhere around 190) Sous vide veggies dont loose all there nutrients from boiling or steaming they are contained so the good stuff cant be washed away, Love that!!

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a good idea to check the temp of your sous vide circulator on a regular basis by checking the water with a different ACCURATE thermometer, especially if you flirt with lower temp cooking.

• siouls
            siouls commented
            Editing a comment
            GadjetGriller,
            I just received an email from chefsteps asking me to confirm my mailing address and they said they were shipping my Joule soon! You might be getting an email from them in a day or two.

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Kool Thanks siouls Congrats on getting yours you will have to do a review for us!! I'll go check my Email!!

Love my Anova Shane Rakow .

Comment

Originally posted by GadjetGriller View Post
            I have an Anova Have used it many times. The one thing I have noticed about mine (your millage may vary) is its temp is off by 1.5 degrees. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I do most my cooks at 130 I understand that 129 isn't hot enough to kill everything that needs be killed for long cooks. I checked the temp with no less than 4 other thermometers and all came up with the 1.5 - 2 degrees to cool. No biggie I just add 1.5 so I set mine at 131.5. Hoping the joule will be dead on when I finally get it!! yeah I wont 2 one for meat (usually around 130 degrees) and one for vegetables (somewhere around 190) Sous vide veggies dont loose all there nutrients from boiling or steaming they are contained so the good stuff cant be washed away, Love that!!
            You can re-calibrate your Anova if needed ... but you've got to be careful. Here's a link to information from Anova on how to re-calibrate: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc...em-Calibration

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks MBMorgan I'll go check it out but me and Careful have never been on that good of terms so most likely will live with the 1.5 discrepancy its safer that way!

I have noticed you often investigate and offer solutions-information as you did here about adjusting the Anova temperature, I think that is awsome, thanks for your positive approach.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
              SMOG MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Meant to direct to Mbmorgan

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome! I just figure that's what we do around here ...

I have the Anova. I was on the waiting list for a long time for the WiFi model before it came out. Have not used that function as much as I thought I would. When I have used the WiFi feature it has worked like a charm. Get a big deep pot, like others have suggested.

Comment

Oh that is one thing that does brother me about the Anova I have the Bluetooth only one. had no problem pairing it up with my phone. But if you use the app to set the cook temp and time and then (since its cooking for 50 mins at least) you decided to go to the store for 1 forgotten thing once you get out of Bluetooth range the Anova shuts down (at least mine did) I figured it saved it in memory somehow but apparently not. and setting the time manually isn't as intuitive as I was expecting but not hard just seems weird the way they do it.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That does seem weird.

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't think mine stops working if out of range, it just doesn't appear in the app anymore. I'll have to check that next time I use it.

There is a new circulator out now and I'd guess it will sell REALLY well due to the cult following of Instant Pot Pressure Cookers on Facebook. The Instant Pot faithful use it inside a 6 or 8 quart pressure cooker pot. (Seems small)
              Last edited by Huskee; January 30, 2017, 01:36 AM.

Comment

I have the ANOVA and it's a great machine. Meathead and Kenji (Serious Eats) both give the Joule excellent reviews, so I'm sure you won't go wrong with that one either. I do like the magnetic base of the joule, would give you the option of just sticking it in the middle of a pot instead of having to clamp it on the side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here