Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First sous-vide cook - success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sous-vide cook - success!

I travel a lot for my job and as a result I'm usually running errands during the weekend so being home for most of the day to smoke is always a challenge. The idea of being able to sous-vide the meat in advance and then smoke the meat for a few hours before I served it really appealed to me. My first attempt was with a pork butt and it was a huge success. I used the Serious Eats time/temp recommendation, but prepped the meat per Meathead's recipe. So dry brined with salt, sous-vided at 165 for 24 hours, chilled in fridge for half a day, rubbed with Memphis Dust, and then smoked for about 3 hours at 275 on the BGE with some apple chunks.

Bringing sous-vide bath up to temp:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6249.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	225839

After 24 hours sous-vide cook. Looked disgusting, smelled amazing. When I went to put the Memphis Dust on, I had to be careful because the butt was already fall-apart tender:

Name:	IMG_6253.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	225838

After about 1 hour on the BGE:

Name:	IMG_6254.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	225840

Fully smoked and ready to pull:

Name:	IMG_6257.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	225841

When I started to pull it apart, the meat was super moist. Frankly, too moist. Of course my wife and friends were sampling as I was pulling and we all agreed it was too juicy. It tasted amazing, but it didn't have the normally, slightly dry texture of pulled pork. Maybe that is just us, but we expect pulled pork to have some texture vs being super juicy. At that point I was a little worried that the sous-vide was not going to be a good technique for our preferences. However, by the time I finished pulling the pork and placed it on the table, the meat had dried out slightly and the texture was absolutely perfect:

Name:	IMG_6258.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	225842
    Attached Files

Nice job! Smoke-Vide is a great way to go! I have done brisket and pulled pork this way, both turned out great.

Comment

Uh, it was too juicy? Is this a thing? lol

Comment

If it's too moist, you can cook hotter and shorter. Higher temps cause the proteins to tighten more, expelling more water.

Comment

The last butts I did I injected with Apple juice and I thought they were too moist as well. They also tasted too much of the juice IMO. Making a couple this weekend, but not injecting.

Comment

• mtvector
            mtvector commented
            Editing a comment
            I normally inject when I'm doing the entire cook on the smoker. I figured injecting for sous-vide would be overkill and it after this first experience it definitely would have been.

I actually know what you guys mean by too juicy. That's why I stopped wrapping butts and cooked them in the buff all the way through now. Definite improvement.

Comment

Woo-Whoooi sous vide cue. I can see the sign at a BBQ joint now that reads "We are now serving Sous Vide Cue". Hummmm...I wonder how long the line will be?
            Last edited by DWCowles; September 30, 2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You tried it?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, not going to try it

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              😂😂☝🏻️😂😂 🙏🔥🔥🔥🙏 DW!!! DWCowles

Congratulations. You've joined the dark side!

Comment

Meathead tagged that as Water & Fire cooking. I think you did it just right. I actually SV to 165° and chill it overnight. Then I smoke it @225° and it takes a 5/6 hours to get to about 200°. Which gives me great bark.

Comment

What's next? Someone gonna post how they drink Glenmorangie or shine on the rocks?

Comment

• Yno
                  Yno commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or put Sprite in their Chateau LaFite for a wine cooler.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gaaaccckkk!!! Phoooeeeyyy!!! 8-O

This ol' Hillbilly would never ruint good 'shine with no rocks!!!
                  Nossir!!!
                  Bleeeaaahhhh!!! ;-)

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would, yes.

Name:	IMG_2665.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	226479 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	226480 The pork shoulder looks good. Real, real good. I made ham hocks from fresh hocks sous vide. Turned pretty good and I'll use for beans and greens. I got tired of the smoked hocks without the skin.
                Last edited by freddh; October 2, 2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here