Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushing the edge on Sous Vide cooking times...🤔

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing the edge on Sous Vide cooking times...🤔

Yesterday I started a 2 pound Tri-Tip that had been dry brined in the bag at 12:00pm. I put it in the bath tub @131° thinking I'll eat it for dinner at around 6:00pm. That didn't work out. A friend called and we went out for dinner.

I decided to let it roll... I went to bed after refilling the bath tub thinking I'll eat it for Dunch tomorrow afternoon. So... It spent 25.5 hours in the bath tub and then I seared on my charcoal starter again.👍 I love the charcoal starter for searing small pieces of meat.😆

Remember... The one I did last week at the same temperature for 18 hours was perfect in my mind. This one was a LITTLE BIT mushy. 25.5 hours is too long.🙄 It was still good tasting but the feel in my mouth was not pleasant. The fettuccine Alfredo was a nice side dish though.👍

Attached Files

It still looks like a fine piece of meat but texture matters too. Chop that sucker up and make tacos, omelettes, or even tacos.

Comment

Breadhead did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much ruined it in my mind. You dont know for sure until you try.....

Comment

I hope to get a data logger one day. They have a sous vide kit, and it will let you know exactly how long the internal was at the bath water temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          I hope to get a data logger one day. They have a sous vide kit, and it will let you know exactly how long the internal was at the bath water temp.
          Jerod -- I've done a makeshift version of this by using one of my iGrill probes and sticking it through a portion of the s.v. bag I had reinforced with a foam tape layer to make it pretty much watertight.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet. In my line of work if it isn't documented it didn't happen. You have officially documented. I'll let you slide concerning the HACCP "have to document at the time of occurence" rule.

I like the "mushy" description. I did the sous vide thing with a tri-tip at Breadhead's suggestion. I did not follow his recipe exactly. It was absolutely delicious coming off the BBQ. However, the leftovers had a different consistency than I am used to. I could not put my finger on it - but "mushy" is a good description. I am going to continue to see what results I achieve. I used a prime tri-tip and I wonder if the fat and the sous vide rendered the results. I'm going to continue to have fun with the experiments.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            How long in the bath at what temp?

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sous Vide 133 for six hours. Used my normal rub. 30 Minutes on the smoker at 350. 2 Minutes per side on the Santa Maria. Internal temp off of the smoker was 140.

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
          Yesterday I started a 2 pound Tri-Tip that had been dry brined in the bag at 12:00pm. I put it in the bath tub @131° thinking I'll eat it for dinner at around 6:00pm. That didn't work out. A friend called and we went out for dinner.

I decided to let it roll... I went to bed after refilling the bath tub thinking I'll eat it for Dunch tomorrow afternoon. So... It spent 25.5 hours in the bath tub and then I seared on my charcoal starter again.👍 I love the charcoal starter for searing small pieces of meat.😆

Remember... The one I did last week at the same temperature for 18 hours was perfect in my mind. This one was a LITTLE BIT mushy. 25.5 hours is too long.🙄 It was still good tasting but the feel in my mouth was not pleasant. The fettuccine Alfredo was a nice side dish though.👍
          Did the 18hr bath tender it up?

Comment

Jerod -- It has definitely become "a thing" with various vendors selling tape for that purpose (e.g. http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/adh...-sous-vide.asp). Back when I did it I don't think anyone did much about marketing sv products, so I used some foam tape that seemed to work in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnF View Post
              Did the 18hr bath tender it up?
              Yes, the 18 hour cook was as tender as a filet. I'm thinking the 18 hours is the perfect timing for Tri-Tips, so far. 4 hours is still good but a little tougher than a longer cook. I've got 3 more TT's in my freezer in SV bags, already dry brined. I'm going to do the next one for 15 hours then the following one for 12 hours and the final one for 8 hours. I'll report back on each one.

Comment

I'm looking forward to hearing the results...

Comment

There is a "too long" at least from what I have experienced playing around. I have found at least for the London broils I have been doing of late that around 24 hours is optimal. Tri tips, sadly have vanished from my stores. Had them, and now they are GONE. Even went up the "food chain" to try and get some more, but, my guy was told that corporate had decided to no longer stock them. Damn...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here