Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunch... Sous Vide Tri-Tip seared cowboy style.πŸ˜†

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunch... Sous Vide Tri-Tip seared cowboy style.πŸ˜†

Dunch... Is when old guys eat to late for lunch and to early for dinner.πŸ€”

A 2.4 pound Tri-Tip dry brined in the SV bag in the fridge for 24 hours. Cooked in the SV hot tub for 18 hours at 131Β°. Then taken out of the bag, blotted dry, hit with some beef love and Memphis Dust.

i seared it on my charcoal starter with my handy dandy Grill Dome inverted grate.πŸ‘

Sides... Baked potato with sour cream and green onions and sauteed zucchini, bell pepper and red onion.

all went well.πŸ‘
    Attached Files

Sous vide and tri tip......match made in heaven.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to start calling my searing torch the hand-held grill...

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Call it what you want... If it puts a carmelized finish on the surface quickly, it's a grilling effect.πŸ‘

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Not to litigate, but no one said BBQ until someone said it is not BBQ. Strawmen are foul play.

Dang! That is beautiful. Too bad you're so far away or I'd be over.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad... I have leftovers too.πŸ‘

@ Breadhead Great cook! The 18 hour bath didn't do that tri-tip any harm in texture. I usually SV for 4 hours, but 18 hours intrigues me. So its back into the freezer, extract a try-tip, dry brine 24 and then SV for 18 hours. I'll probably not use the chimney but use the SnS instead.
    Last edited by freddh; September 16, 2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      The extended SV time will give a little more tender texture. I often sear them after 3 or 4 hours. They're fine both ways. I was in no rush and just let it go until I was ready to eat. I normally sear on my kettle & SnS too but I just figured why go that extra step?, it was just me I was cooking for.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      freddh ... I'm an older gentleman so I don't get in a rush. You can dry brine for less time. You can leave it in the bath tub for less time and you can sear it in a skillet. I put that TT in the bath tub at 9:00pm and had no clue when I was going to eat it.

That looks awesome!!

Comment

I like a 4 hour smoked Tri-Tip. I don't prefer the "cook fast over open flame" method. However, I have the Sous Vide machine and your photos are tremendous. I am going to try your method. If I like it (the photos suggest I will) I am going to be really angry with you, Breadhead!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the dry brine is important. 4 hours VS 18 hours in the bath tub? You get a little more tender meat after 18 hours. I just did that because I could, I was in no rush. Chat with Jerod Broussard, he is a big fan of SV'ed tri-tip too. I can tell you now... You are going to be very angry at me.πŸ˜†

You guys are killing me. I thought I was over MCS for a while. Than you show me pics of that tri-tip cooked so perfectly. How do I keep myself from buying more cool stuff and pissing off my wife. By the way Breadhead
      The presentation looks amazing.

Lets keep the smoke coming.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Tip... Buy the Sous Vide circulator as a gift FOR YOUR WIFE.πŸ˜†

• LangInGibsonia
        LangInGibsonia commented
        Editing a comment
        This is great advice! That's exactly how I got my, er, my wife's Pro-Line 7 qt. Kitchen Aid.
        Breadhead Steve B

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Good move LangInGibsonia ... I'm sure she thought you are a very thoughtful and caring husband to buy her nice cookware.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ Everyone wins!

I seriously just licked my phone screen when I looked at that tri-tip! πŸ˜€πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
        You guys are killing me. I thought I was over MCS for a while. Than you show me pics of that tri-tip cooked so perfectly. How do I keep myself from buying more cool stuff and pissing off my wife. By the way Breadhead
        The presentation looks amazing.

Lets keep the smoke coming.
        The Pit... Is the incubator of MCS!

Because of the frequent display of awesome food cooked differently, on different cookers, using different gadgets you don't yet own... You get the hibi jibi's thinking, I MUST, get me one of those!😑. They don't tell you the $24 per year membership fee is just a fraction of the REAL net cost of joining.πŸ™ˆ

Drug addicts can go to rehab. BBQ addicts have no hope, no rehab, no where to turn.πŸ™„ Vegan's were probably BBQ addicts in their previous life.😎

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you might just be right there.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know that I'm right... It's simply an observation of what happens in the Pit. The biggest hook is the Show us what you're cooking thread...😑 Guys/girls don't post their bad cooks. You see beautiful cooks, salivate, and say I have to do that! If you must acquire new gear... You do.😏

My last tri tip I SVed for 24h at 131F and I really did not like the texture - mushy interior. I have done several at around 8h and came out perfect in my opinion. Must be that time*temp thing that pushed it from steaky to pot roasty.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I''ve done sous vide tri-tip steaks for 3-4 hours that were perfect. I can cut them into more consistently sized steaks, Of course those were some HIGH grade tip steaks. SRF stuff.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          W.A. ...
          My Modernists Cuisine books, in the Sous Vide section, warren you about extended cooking times on meat. The really helpful part of SV cooking is that you can pull it from the bath and sear it when it's convenient, to a degree. They do say that meat can and will become mushy at some point.

I just did this with a flank steak with the ChefSteps team in Seattle. Their new Joule is the best sv machine I have tested. BTW, we will be rolling out a sous vide to grill section on the free site soon. I call it fire and water. They are made for each other!

Comment

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear it! I like ChefSteps a lot - good to see this site cross paths with that one.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Why only on the free site?

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Fire & Water... Very creative.πŸ‘ I'm all in on Sous Vide and grilling. This cook was just so easy and it tasted fantastic. Plus when you're entertaining a small group, 6/8 people, it's so much easier and relaxing to SV first and sear on the grill, when you're ready to dine.

Meathead, I am waiting on my Joule and I Don't Parlee Vouix Sioux Vee Doo? Make the New Section Plain English! Thanks!
        Ear Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	222333

Breadhead - Sous Vide 133 for six hours. Used my normal rub. 30 Minutes on the smoker at 350. 2 Minutes per side on the Santa Maria. Internal temp off of the smoker was 140. The tri-tip was delicious. I like a tad more smoke on the meat - my daughter liked your sous vide method better. I think I am a convert and will be experimenting with temps and times on this combo. Thanks again.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            You might find a compromise position between the daughter and you. SV 133 for 6-8, shock, chill, then smoke, then sear. By starting the smoke with a colder piece of meat, you can get more smoke adherence.

tbob4 ...

Your Santa Maria grill was actually invented to cook this particular piece of meat. I don't own one but it's on my MCS list.πŸ‘

There's no rules in the Kitchen... Riff on the times, temps and spices all you want.🀘

I'm not a big fan of smoke flavor on beef so I'll pass on your smoking step. Just my preference.

Pleasing your daughter is always gratifying. Way to go Pops!

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Your photos mad the experiment possible - thanks again.

That's an awesome looking cook!! I may steal the idea for an upcoming Video!!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Have at it Gadjet man.πŸ‘ It's a fun cook. Using your charcoal starter to sear is great. Less clean up too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here