Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Strip

Never been a fan of "The Strip." Guess the ribeye texture spoils me. Enter sous vide.

Thinking a 3 hr bath @131 after a 24 hour dry brine.

1.5" thick, yellow tag on sale. Got a nice fat salmon filet on sale too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160824_134751.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	212987

If you want a more tender Strip, you might go a bit longer... like 4-6h. Do not forget to shock after cooking, and before searing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      In all honesty cook time is dependent upon how early I get up before lunch.

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      what do you mean by shock? drop in cold water before throwing it on hot coals?

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      50/50 ice/water bath while still in the bag, directly out of the SV machine. Shocking the surface cold helps prevent overcooking the interior while searing.

This camper thinks a good strip (and that one looks really good) needs no extra help. Mmmmm, my favorite.

Comment

Jerod Broussard, There is a fallacy in your statement that cook time is Dependant on how early you get up before Lunch? It would seem to me there would a direct Correlation between when you get up and How Late You Eat Lunch? I think cook times would be relatively constant? 🤔😇🤔 LOL
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Great marbling on that hunk o'cow.

Comment

I used to know a New York stripper who... never mind...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Had good "marbling"?

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha ha!

I actually prefer a good Angus top sirloin over a strip. Maybe I have never had a good one, but they seem a bit on the mushy side to me.
          Last edited by Thunder77; August 27, 2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Darchie03
            Darchie03 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thunder77, Henrik, Jerod Broussard, I actually prefer a good Angus ribeye or porterhouse over all other stake cuts

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Darchie, that's a good cut too!

Four and a half hours at 131, taste and texture is good considering a couple things.

I did a pre and post sear. It wasn't quite as rare as I like it and I should have pre seared little more and run the bath at 125

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160825_111950.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	213378 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160825_112007.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	213379

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Just pan seared. Getting up to prepare for second shift doesn't find me venturing outside too much.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Banding... grrr.... This is why I don't pre-sear. No matter how much you pre-sear, you are going to want to post-sear beef. And if you get a really good sear on it pre-cook without starting from basically frozen, you are going to increase the grey band. Did you shock?

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. I've had great success pre and post searing. On tri-tip it is my go to. The pre-sear was done at 6 a.m. after going to bed at 2 a.m. Not sure if I even had my glasses on.

New York strip is our favorite.
          Haven't branched out into Sous Vide yet (its in my plans) but I did a couple a few weeks ago at the trailer.
          Our new gas grill out there has a sear burner on the side. I dry brined overnight, grilled to temp and seared. Awesome!

Comment

I've actually had more success with New Yorks using sous-vide than with ribeye. I still prefer ribeyes done over fire, but some of the best steaks I've ever made were sous-vide New Yorks. Couldn't begin to explain it...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I have no need to sous vide ribeye, nor salmon or other tender fish. Tough catfish filets is about the only thing I will sous vide.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you done hanger steak that way? If so, how long in the bath?

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              EdF no I haven't

Best strip I did at home was to leave out at room temp 2 hours followed by simple salt/ pepper/ worstershire seasoning and cast iron sear. Sometimes simpler is better!

Comment

Jerod, I have sous vide New York strips twice. The first time at 129 degrees (per Kenji's recipe) for two and a half hours and the second time at 123 degrees (per a Kenji video I watched) for two and a half hours. Both were prime grade from Costco. Both were seared at Warp 10 on a charcoal grill for about 2 - 3 minutes total and ended up medium to medium-rare. Although both tasted excellent, the one cooked at 129 degrees was noticeably more tender. It may have been just the difference in steaks, but with so few variables I'm thinking it was the difference in the temp of the water bath.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I typically do 125 whenever I do a pre-sear, but overall I much rather just grill a ribeye than mess with anything else.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Temps below 129 are in the danger zone and should be preseared.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here