Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide chuck and brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I know JKLA and ChefSteps like hotter temps and shorter cooks for their Sous-B-Cue, but I'm gonna state a minority opinion. Chuck, do at 130-135 x 48-72, until it passes a pinch test. Brisket, same time, same temp, same test. The pinch test is a key concept for sous vide, just like probe tender for traditional BBQ.

Temperature is damage. You do the damage when you do traditional, because it's what's required to break down the collagen. You don't need the same temperature with sous vide to break down the collagen, because you are substituting time for temp. A lot of time for about 100* of temp.

If you are inclined to attempt this again, do a chuck (unless brisket is cheaper where you are... in which case do a brisket flat). Put it in for 135* for 24 hours... pinch the bag. If it's not tender, it's not ready. Give it another 12. Repeat until it's tender under your pinch. When it's tender, shock it cold in an ice bath. Refrigerate overnight. You want this cold on the grill/smoker. Dry it off, rub it, put it on at 225-250* and let it run until it's rethermed. Then, take it off, and heat your sear up to sear temps and sear it until you have the crust you want. That should produce closer to what you're looking for.

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give it a shot next time. I did do a pork butt at 165 the weekend before and smoked at the end and it was perfectly tender.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Butt is very forgiving on the BBQ, so is probably okay that hot. Beef, in my experience, likes a lower temp.

Potkettleblack Here's a chuck roast I did about a month ago. I coated it in Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust and dropped in some fresh rosemary. I did this at 135F for 24 hours and then just seared it on the grill. It was awesome. I served it with the jus from the bag and it tasted like roast beef.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160704_172227.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	209250

Name:	20160704_173624.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	209248

Name:	20160704_174201.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	209249

Comment

I have never done sous vide, but I have done chuck low n slow, and done it all on the kettle, and it tasted damn good, in a third of the time you are talking about.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Sous Vide is about convenience not time. In a 24 hour SV cook there is only about 5 or 10 minutes of hands on effort involved. You sleep through a 3rd of the cook. It greatly reduces the time in the smoker. Once the bark builds you're done, pretty much.

I did a SV brisket a couple weekends ago. It went into the refrigerator over night after the SV for 36 hours. Then smoked for 4-5 hours at a low temp (around 200 degrees) until internal temp was 150 ish. Turned out great.

Comment

• josht138
        josht138 commented
        Editing a comment
        what was your SV temp?

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment

Thunder77 I have done it too and I prefer it that way. I'm just trying out the sous vide and what I can do with it.

Last weekend I did a pork butt and my prep time was around 10 minutes before it went into the bath and it only required 2.5 hrs of smoking time. That sure beats waking up at 6 am to get dinner ready for the night while having to babysit or monitor a smoker all day. It's not as good, IMO, but it's close and sure makes it convenient.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am going to break into sous vide someday.. As Breadhead said, it would be more about convenience for me.

Regarding convenience methods, I wonder how a sous vide /BBQ pork butt compares with a PB that is done on the smoker, held overnight (or longer) and served the next day. I have to say I was a bit bummed by your comment, josht138 , that a sous vide/BBQ PB is not as good as low 'n slow all the way. I was hoping actually that it would be better, since the conditions are more controlled. Oh well, I'm still eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Joule.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a large pork butt in my freezer right now. I think I could halve it, and do some sciencey type stuff.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh goody! Get sceincey, Potkettleblack, and report back to us.

K.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure what to say about this one. I did a bunch of butts for 25 people from work a couple of years back. Smoked them first for 3 hours, SV at 175 for 18, then seared them. Consensus was it was the best they'd had. Could not have managed it without the SV.

Thunder77 ...

I had 5 people over for dinner last week. I told them we would dine at 6:00pm. I put 6 - 1 1/2" Ribeye's in the SV bath tub at high noon after I blanched them in boiling water for 1 minutes. The blanching was recommended in my Modernist Cuisine book on SV cooking if you are going to have your bath water below 131°. I set the bath water at 120° and let them cook in the bath water until about 5:30.

After all my guests had arrived and been served adult beverages it was time to sear their steaks on the 26" Weber kettle and SnS. They all gathered around to watch the grilling show.😆 I did 3 steaks at a time and when I had the right crust I pulled them at a perfect 135°, medium rare.👍

That's very easy and convenient when you have lots of people you are cooking for.👍

Comment

I made pastrami this spring with Meatheads recipe. Fabulous. I did take it to 203 and it went into a 4 hour "stall''Like the man said "patience". I smoked Chuck roast before. I too wasn't happy with the results. You just keep trying.

Comment

I did David Parrish 's Perfect Pastrami with boneless short ribs. Followed his BBQ/Sous Vide instructions exactly. It was really good, but I prefer the brisket pastrami format for making pastrami sammies with. The flavor and texture of those small pastrami pieces were spot on, though. It was a fun cook; I'll do it again in the future for convenience sake.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            No, don't get me wrong, David Parrish ! I loved the short rib version of pastrami, but my kids like those thin layers of sliced meat that you get with a brisket cut. It was more about the looks than the tenderness or flavor.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, gotcha! When it comes to kids they like what they like and they hate "different". I 150% understand that

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Apparently, if you can get beef navel, it's the pastrami bomb. So sayeth Kosher Dosher, who has put more thought into beef charcuterie than nearly anyone.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
          Regarding convenience methods, I wonder how a sous vide /BBQ pork butt compares with a PB that is done on the smoker, held overnight (or longer) and served the next day. I have to say I was a bit bummed by your comment, josht138 , that a sous vide/BBQ PB is not as good as low 'n slow all the way. I was hoping actually that it would be better, since the conditions are more controlled. Oh well, I'm still eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Joule.

Kathryn
          fzxdoc Well... it's based on a sample size of 1 pork butt cooked SV and smoked only for 2 hours. I think if I had chilled it overnight and then smoked for 3-4 hrs from being cold, I might have gotten better bark and smoke flavor. I need to keep playing with it. I will say that it was beautifully tender all throughout and for the next several days. The bark just didn't have that dried out meat crunch I was looking for.

I've got a big cook coming up for my team at work and I am going to pre-cook several butts, cool them off in the fridge at least overnight, and then smoke them in the morning for lunch. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here