Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide chuck and brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide chuck and brisket

Based on the Kenji article in the most recent topic, I'm cooking a 2.5 lb chuck roast and 2 lb brisket flat. I'm going sous vide @155 until tomorrow afternoon and then I'm going to smoke until finish.

Kenji says to cool off to room temp before smoking. Does anyone disagree with this? I've seen a lot where people have been taking out of the bag and cooking until IT of 203. Recommendations?

I prefer to chill. Then put the smoke to it.

Comment

I think you will get more smoke adhesion with cold meat.

Comment

I too prefer to chill it before putting it in the smoker... After I hit it with some beef love and put my rub on it.👍

Comment

+1 on chilling ... and that applies to all SV'd proteins headed to the smoker.

Comment

Better bark or no difference?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess it might be possible to get a better bark since the fact it is chilled increases cooking time. But I think really at the end of the day the difference might not be much on these long cook meats.

Looking forward to some photos of your finished chuck roast and brisket flat!

Comment

Taking it to 203 is completely unnecessary after sous vide. It will be pullable long before then.

I don't like Kenji's time and temp recommendation, but he's JKLA and I'm just some schlub in Chicago. Longer time, lower temp. Like 48-72 hours long, around 135-140. Shock, chill, smoke until you have the bark you want. It will be pullable when it gets to temp.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                +1^ I cook to get bark. Once my bark looks good I pull it.👍

Here's a couple pics from yesterday. Brisket is in Salt and pepper. Chuck is in Fox Bros Bbq rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160814_093327.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	208752

Name:	20160814_093352.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	208751

Comment

Just went on the smoker. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160814_131947.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	208831

Comment

And the anticipation builds....

Comment

Game on...

Comment

I'm about 3 hours in to the smoking and the bark isn't really quite there. Plus the meat feels pretty tough. Should I be worried? Overcooked?

I did 155F for about 22 hours and I've been smoking around 225 to 250.

Comment

Had hungry kids to feed so I had to pull it.

Bark and flavor were pretty good. The brisket tasted dried out and it started pulling apart while cutting it. I think it was overcooked.

The chuck was a little more tender but wasn't anything great. This was the only pic I could get. I wrapped them and let sit for over an hour before slicing.

Name:	20160814_194544.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	208971

Comment

Good to know, josht138 . Thanks for the info.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here